News - flood/storm coverage

So , Ash what ammount do you think is an OK ammount?

And give Us some figures on how much is wasted

nothing whilst there are needy in this country. How much of other peoples money would you give.

Make overseas aid voluntary and then see how little/much the country would donate

But hey, it gives both Politicians and journalists an excuse for a photo op or report from somewhere with a strategically placed flooded area behind them, even if they've had to travel miles to find it.

I notice that the journalists wear really good deep waders, whereas the Politicians just wear wellington boots.

Interesting article from Paul Hudson about the coverage.

Number of properties affected in Somerset - 40 = blanket coverage

Southern England as a whole - 800-900 properties

Coastal surge last December in Yorkshire - 688 properties = hardly a mention

2007 Yorkshire & Humber - 23,479 properties flooded.

But hey, it gives both Politicians and journalists an excuse for a photo op or report from somewhere with a strategically placed flooded area behind them, even if they've had to travel miles to find it.

Thanks for the posting of this article Taxman.

It's confirmed exactly what I have been thinking - that the floods experienced Yorkshire were greater in scope, yet got very little media or political attention.

Meanwhile I'm just watching the Channel 4 News now where a local resident in a very well heeled neighbourhood is bitterley complaining of feeling "abandoned".

We know the feeling dear.

It's confirmed exactly what I have been thinking - that the floods experienced Yorkshire were greater in scope, yet got very little media or political attention.

Meanwhile I'm just watching the Channel 4 News now where a local resident in a very well heeled neighbourhood is bitterley complaining of feeling "abandoned". We know the feeling dear.

It's interesting, these are the people who you'd normally get barking on about the nanny state and individual responsibility yet it's the government or council's job to protect their private property from floods.

Meanwhile I'm just watching the Channel 4 News now where a local resident in a very well heeled neighbourhood is bitterley complaining of feeling "abandoned".

We know the feeling dear.

You are forgetting one big difference......

The floods of 2007 were short lived, and a clean up operation started soon after.

Folks down South have had weeks of flooding .... And it's going to be many more weeks if not months before the clean up can even start.

It's not surprising that such adverse weather is attracting media attention.

It's interesting, these are the people who you'd normally get barking on about the nanny state and individual responsibility yet it's the government or council's job to protect their private property from floods.

I agree, but its the roads that are flooded too, for weeks on end.

Where ever the cameras are you can be assured Cameron the Camera man will be there spouting money is no object, desperately begging for votes, here is a tip for Camera man, go the full hog and hold a child in your arms.:hihi:

yes, that's exactly what i was getting at when i started this thread and poll....and i hadnt seen these figures til now!

So as individuals, what is it exactly that you would have expected them to do to prevent this?

Archived