What a wonderful sight!

Last night, I took our dog out for his last walk of the day. It was around 8.30pm. I got to the end of our road and heard a strange noise coming from the sky. I looked up and saw a gaggle of about 20 Canadian Geese flying over. This was such a wonderful sight that I just wanted to share it with you all. I saw their white bellies and the white underside of their wings. To think they'd traveled all those hundreds of miles and they were still in a perfect 'v' formation. They were heading in a straight line towards Hillsborough pond. The sound coming from them seemed like they were all excited to be nearing the end of their journey. I've often seen them heading off in Autumn but never in 48 years have I seen them flying back in. I felt rather priviledged to see this. A couple of 16-17 year old kids were passing me at the time with a vocalised shocked expression, not knowing what it was. So, I explained to them what these geese had accomplished and they were gobsmacked. The forecasters are predicting snow but for me, I thought ,well, thats a sign that winter is nearly over and Spring is on the way. I also thought, 'You've made it, well done !!' But thinking about it later on, why do they fly off to Canada, their winters are certainly more extreme than ours? It was most certainly a wonderful part of nature to witness.

A couple of years ago I was stargazing on a moonless night, and a flock of geese flew over. It was so dark I couldn't see them, but only hear them. Quite eery until you realise what it is!

We occasionally get the huge v-shaped gaggles flying over, and it's amazing how high they are sometimes, little more than rows of dots.

Although they're called Canada geese, it's a myth that they actually migrate from here to Canada and back each year.

They were introduced to this country and are classed as resident, I think they only move around the local-ish area to form up big flocks, or maybe go to Scandinavia or somewhere like that.

Although they're called Canada geese, it's a myth that they actually migrate from here to Canada and back each year.

They were introduced to this country and are classed as resident, I think they only move around the local-ish area to form up big flocks, or maybe go to Scandinavia or somewhere like that.

^^^Is more or less the correct answer. We've 62000 resident breeding pairs - I often see a flock overhead at dusk, probably bound for Rother valley country park. http://www.rspb.org.uk/wildlife/birdguide/name/c/canadagoose/index.aspx

:)

Thank you for sharing. I am happy that you saw that. I can share the sentiments when last year I saw some exotic parrots through my bedroom window in Windsor. It is just so exotic and so out of the ordinary.

Now I am wondering, what has Hillsborough pond got that makes them come back each year? It is quite marvellous when you think about it.

The forecaster is right, I saw snow this morning.

Whether its Canada or Scandanavia, they are still a wonder of nature how they navigate to either country and its still a sign that Spring IS on the way. We'll just have to look out for the Swallows now and this wet, windy Winter will be a distant memory. Any idea anyone how many do emigrate from our Winter?

---------- Post added 11-02-2014 at 14:35 ----------

Just been reading up on these birds, some still do migrate, some as far as Mexico. They can live up to 25 years and can travel up to 1000 miles in 24 hours. They don't use navigation as such, they use landmarks to make their journey. In 1950s they were becoming extinct. They stay with the same partner all through their life. How amazing they are!! I know they can be a pain with their mess and for the farmers but for me , it was still a wonderful sight.

Archived