Private Member's Bill for Margaret Thatcher day

rbbt

Should it be called Milk Snatchers day instead of August Bank Holiday Monday?

*SIGH*

Documents released under the 30-year rule revealed that Mrs Thatcher was considering several options including charges for borrowing library books, increased prices for school meals and admission fees for museums.

However, it also revealed that she advised against cutting free school milk for all children on the grounds it would "arouse widespread public antagonism".

LINK

So why were the cuts made. Well, sometimes in a job (I'm assuming you know what one of those is) you have to do things you don't like or agree with because your boss tells you to. Mrs. T. was one of many cabinet ministers operating under the PM. Even when she was PM herself she didn't always have the freedom to do exactly as she liked.

And if it's milk snatchers you want to commemorate:

The biggest “milk snatchers” were Labour. In 1968 they took free school milk away from all 11 to 18 year olds. The Conservatives did not dub Harold Wilson a milk thief, but accepted this economy as part of the package to cut the excessive borrowing of that Labour government. No subsequent government, including the Labour governments of 1997 to 2010 thought free school milk worth reintroducing. Most people cannot remember that Edward Short was Education Secretary for most of 1968 (I looked it up) the year when the free milk was withdrawn, because no-one ran a campaign claiming he left us short of free milk.

LINK

"to cut the excessive borrowing of that Labour government".

Plus ça change, plus c'est la même chose. :D

Personally I think the only reason to have a Mrs Thatcher day would be that it would annoy many people on this forum.

So, what date shall we pick? :D

Excellent idea ! :banana:

And btw. Show some respect. Speaking ill of the dead is really big and clever isn't it. :nono:

It never ceases to amaze me that the Left invariably refer to peopl on the right of them as "scum" as "septic hags" as having "swivel [eyed] ideas" and all the rest of it.

For some reason they then have the hypocrisy to bleat about the Nasty Party, when their language belies their own feelings...

Betcha people would change their minds if an extra day off work (fully paid of course) was mentioned.

Agreed

You might remember that in the old days (70's) union members used to take unauthorised days off to go on their May-day marches.

As soon as the labour government made it a public holiday they forgot their principals, the marches stopped, and they went to the seqside instead.

it will never get past first base. If Churchill hasn't, and never did get, even when memories of the war were fresher than they are now, a National Day, then why should she?

it is not something that the British go in for actually, naming days, after people. The US might go in for that, with Washington's birthday and MLK day but not the UK. It was Waterloo day and Trafalgar day, not 'Wellington day' or 'Nelson day'.

I think I may have read someplace that Thatcher herself was opposed to the idea of a day named after her which does not surprise me (although maybe not for the Falklands, which DOES have a Margaret Thatcher day). I would have guessed that she would have considered it a ridiculous idea.

it will never get past first base. If Churchill hasn't, and never did get, even when memories of the war were fresher than they are now, a National Day, then why should she?

it is not something that the British go in for actually, naming days, after people. The US might go in for that, with Washington's birthday and MLK day but not the UK. It was Waterloo day and Trafalgar day, not 'Wellington day' or 'Nelson day'.

I think I may have read someplace that Thatcher herself was opposed to the idea of a day named after her which does not surprise me (although maybe not for the Falklands, which DOES have a Margaret Thatcher day). I would have guessed that she would have considered it a ridiculous idea.

The recent passing of one of UKs greatest post war commentators, Stuart Hall (no, not that one, this one: http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/stuart-hall-godfather-of-multiculturalism-who-coined-the-term-thatcherism-dies-aged-82-9120139.html) reminded me that she was one of the few living people to have an 'ism' named after her, even if it was intended as a criticism.

The recent passing of one of UKs greatest post war commentators, Stuart Hall (no, not that one, this one: http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/stuart-hall-godfather-of-multiculturalism-who-coined-the-term-thatcherism-dies-aged-82-9120139.html) reminded me that she was one of the few living people to have an 'ism' named after her, even if it was intended as a criticism.

I'm not so sure if that is entirely true. If you google 'Butskelism' you will find it originated in an Economist 1954 article, I suppose you could say the expression is about the policies of TWO people, not one and not anything to do with any one, single individual. And 'Thatcherism' is not anything to do with Margaret Thatcher herself, like the way she spoke, walked, or dressed. It is about the policies she espoused. And those policies were not only championed by Thatcher herself, but by many other people who were on the scene both before, during and after she was.

and of course the policies of dictators like in particular Stalin had 'isms' named after them well before Thatcher came along. Trust Hall, to keep quiet about that one.

Archived