Question re cars & engine oil

I've a friend with a vehicle problem she'd appreciate some advice with from our forum car experts/mechanics.

Basically she's owned a Chrysler Ypsilon (never was a car so aptly named) from new Jan 13, which has 12 month or 18k mile service intervals. The car is slightly past it's first service date and has covered 22k miles.

Driving to work the car came to an abrupt stop and had to be recovered by the dealer. They're telling her it's bone dry of oil and requires a new engine (gulp). Whilst she can take the outcome on the chin, she says the car doesn't have an oil warning light, nor was it overheating or behaving oddly so she was unaware of the problem. She claims to have put a litre of oil in last year but doesn't do so routinely, or anything like it so is prepared to accept responsibility to some/all degree.

Is it worth her pursuing the manufacturer to see if they'd accept part of the responsibility given they've produced a car without an oil warning light, where most cars would have one and it would be the customer's expectation?

Is it normal for a new car to run out of engine oil completely in a year?

Thanks.

On a new engine during running in oil consumption rates of a litre every thousand miles are not too unusual - although this usually doesnt last long. Certainly I'd expect any car to use some oil - perhaps not much but some consumption is almost inevitable.

You should ideally check the oil level daily - whilst I'm not that bad I've always checked everything weekly - oil, coolant, brake and clutch fluid, look for loose bits or flapping drivebelts.... if she hasn't checked the levels on a regular basis I'd have to say this one is down to her especially if there are signs of long term oil starvation.

Also a quick check shows that the Lancia (the chrysler just rebadge the Lancia and sell it) does have an oil pressure switch on the engine and the associated warning light.

On a new engine during running in oil consumption rates of a litre every thousand miles are not too unusual - although this usually doesnt last long. Certainly I'd expect any car to use some oil - perhaps not much but some consumption is almost inevitable.

You should ideally check the oil level daily - whilst I'm not that bad I've always checked everything weekly - oil, coolant, brake and clutch fluid, look for loose bits or flapping drivebelts.... if she hasn't checked the levels on a regular basis I'd have to say this one is down to her especially if there are signs of long term oil starvation.

Thanks Obelix, it's pretty much what I thought too, just grasping at straws before she spends thousands on a new engine for a crap car.

Also a quick check shows that the Lancia (the chrysler just rebadge the Lancia and sell it) does have an oil pressure switch on the engine and the associated warning light.

I think it's just on the diesel variant, her car's petrol.

I think it's just on the diesel variant, her car's petrol.

The general rule of thumb with most cars is if you see the oil pressure light it's already too late.

Some manufacturers have sorted this now, but 'back in the day' it was always the 'new engine light'

As harsh as it sounds I don't think your friend has a leg to stand on, if you don't bother to check your oil level how is it anyone elses fault when it runs out and trashes the engine???

Our last Civic would happily munch through at least a litre of oil every 10k, probably more tbh - I think it's just the nature of certain engines???

The manual is usually fairly specific when it comes to checking the oil, often it says check it weekley or something along those lines.

Does it mention an oil warning light in the owner's handbook?

Looking online it only mentions it for the diesel truman

---------- Post added 12-02-2014 at 15:24 ----------

The general rule of thumb with most cars is if you see the oil pressure light it's already too late.

Some manufacturers have sorted this now, but 'back in the day' it was always the 'new engine light'

As harsh as it sounds I don't think your friend has a leg to stand on, if you don't bother to check your oil level how is it anyone elses fault when it runs out and trashes the engine???

Our last Civic would happily munch through at least a litre of oil every 10k, probably more tbh - I think it's just the nature of certain engines???

The manual is usually fairly specific when it comes to checking the oil, often it says check it weekley or something along those lines.

Hear what you say geared, I think generally with new cars we've become complacent with regards to routine maintenance because of longer service intervals and enhanced reliability. Twenty years ago I had an E Class Merc estate which was fantastic..until you had to open the bonnet!

It's no picnic now tho either.

Sure you open the bonnet and the dipstick and other bits are colour coded and easy to access.

but try doing something on the engine and you'll need 6 ft arms, 3 ft fingers and the strength of an ox for some bits.

Everything is so crammed in in some cases it's a complete mission.

It's no picnic now tho either.

Sure you open the bonnet and the dipstick and other bits are colour coded and easy to access.

but try doing something on the engine and you'll need 6 ft arms, 3 ft fingers and the strength of an ox for some bits.

Everything is so crammed in in some cases it's a complete mission.

I can well believe it, but I leave all that to 'folks what know'!

Just as an aside my pal's just told me that the garage haven't dismantled the engine, they're saying the valves are buggered but haven't delved into the deeper recesses , are engines and their peripherals repairable..sorry to sound dumb.

Ps new engine is £5k!

Archived