Where was Balmoral Works, Sheffield

Adelai

I've just got some lovely old Sheffield knives and the box said made by Gregory Bros at Balmoral Works, Sheffield, England. Picture of quite sizeable works.

Anyone got any idea where these works might have been? I've googled and can't find any reference at all.

Many thanks

"In an effort to reduce spam on our community, we require that you make at least 5 posts before you can include a web link in your posting."

I guess you'll have to google it yourself then. I found the answer quite easily and was going to post the link.

I thought it was one that got destroyed in the Blitz but they were still making stuff in 1945.

http://www.gracesguide.co.uk/File:Im1945Benn-GregoryBros.jpg

I'll have a dig around tomorrow and see what I can find. Matilda St is pretty long and a lot of it has been redeveloped but there are still a few old buildings around down towards the bottom end of the road.

I thought it was one that got destroyed in the Blitz but they were still making stuff in 1945.

http://www.gracesguide.co.uk/File:Im1945Benn-GregoryBros.jpg

I'll have a dig around tomorrow and see what I can find. Matilda St is pretty long and a lot of it has been redeveloped but there are still a few old buildings around down towards the bottom end of the road.

OH this is a fabulous poster!!! Thanks so much. Look forward to what you find tomorrow

I think it was on Matilda Street. Been a while since I looked at the old works but it rings a bell.

Spot On, Gregory Brothers were working in 1907 as a knife, spoon and fork manufacturer and they worked on the Exchange Works on Egerton St, by 1916 the firm moved to nearby Bishop St and concentrated on making specialized knives like, Butchers, Skinning and Sticking Knives

Gregory Brothers moved into the Balmoral Works on Matilda St around 1926 until the 1960s when moved to the Sykes Works on Milton St, they merged with Joseph Fenton and became Gregory Fenton, Fenton's worked out of the Beehive Works which is still there today. While I worked for J. Donnelly on Portobello I did loads of work for Gregory Fenton's.

All this info was gleaned from TWEEDALES DIRECTORY OFSHEFFIELD CUTLERY MANUFACTURERS 1740 -2010

Entries in directories place Balmoral Works on the north side of Matilda Street, between Union Lane and Eyre Street. I've arrowed the location on this map. Nowadays the area looks like this..:|.As lazarus noted, in the early 1960s Gregory Brothers moved to Fenton's Sykes Works.

It look as though the works was where the Chinese food shop is and below.

Archived