What to do when you see blue lights and hear sirens

People always react stupidly when they see an ambulance mostly because they're not paying attention to what they're doing.

It's really not hard to figure out that if you put your foot down and get into a space you'll be well out of the way.

Unfortunately some people are idiots, they're not paying attention and automatically slam on their brakes.

It's when it happens at traffic lights, and some moron is sat at a green light waiting for the ambulance to attempt to squeeze past instead of moving off and out of the way :loopy::loopy::loopy::rant::rant::rant::rant:

and its equally not hard to work out that you don't control the mind of others unless your some kind of sociopathic narcissist! just because you think somebody should do something a certain way, doesn't mean they will. ever heard of the word "mistake" ever made one of those? don't judge unless you are willing to be judged. remember all races are inferior to robots!!!

and its equally not hard to work out that you don't control the mind of others unless your some kind of sociopathic narcissist! just because you think somebody should do something a certain way, doesn't mean they will. ever heard of the word "mistake" ever made one of those? don't judge unless you are willing to be judged. what the heck happened to empathy? remember all races are inferior to robots!!!

Oh dear...

... someone's having a bad day... relax! :roll:

Really? I'm sure I've driven past Truvelo ones going down the hill just before the Lidl shop..

My bad, got the street name wrong. Hanover Way, not Halifax Road.

---------- Post added 13-02-2014 at 11:06 ----------

It's when it happens at traffic lights, and some moron is sat at a green light waiting for the ambulance to attempt to squeeze past instead of moving off and out of the way :loopy::loopy::loopy::rant::rant::rant::rant:

Yep, I've seen that quite a few times.

And roundabouts as well, when it's clear, instead of just going and getting out of the way, they sit their like lemons whilst the ambulance is stuck squeezing slowly through them all.

---------- Post added 13-02-2014 at 11:09 ----------

and its equally not hard to work out that you don't control the mind of others unless your some kind of sociopathic narcissist! just because you think somebody should do something a certain way, doesn't mean they will. ever heard of the word "mistake" ever made one of those? don't judge unless you are willing to be judged. remember all races are inferior to robots!!!

I didn't think we'd strayed into the area of mind control...

The point I'm making is that many drivers don't appear to understand what they should do, and so they repeat this mistake. I'm hoping that maybe someone will think about it due to this thread and in the future not make the same mistake.

I'm quite happy with my driving being judged, why wouldn't I be?

And I've never seen a robot driving a car (although it won't be long now).

The best thing to do is to keep driving and safely pull over at the first opportunity. If it is a dual carriageway, make sure the right hand lane is cleared as soon and safely as possible. Also ensure you indicate your intentions clearly and in time.

My dad is a paramedic in the Netherlands, so I know what I am talking about.

Braking is often the worst decision, as it slows down the emergency vehicle.

As an aside, certain roads in Sheffield are likely to get emergency traffic all the time, think of Penistone Road for example, if you drive there make sure to pay extra attention to your rear-view mirrors, so you don't get surprised.

Yea man calm down.

It's a mistake, but it's one you see all the time because people don't engage their brain before engaging gears.

It's not something that is really taught when learning to drive. And if it is, it's a difficult scenario to produce for learning.

I can remember being quite nervous and trying to think quickly the best thing to do the first time I was in a similar situation. It's all second nature to me now though.

It should probably be compulsive learning for the test.

so whats the answer? should there be more driver training prior to the test? I know people who have held a driving licence for 20 years but have not used the motorway. This was changed and motorway driving became part of the test years later. maybe they could train drivers to better prepare for these eventualities. or take the easy route cameras on ambulances and fines for obvious as some would put it "idiots".

Archived