What to do when you see blue lights and hear sirens

You could argue that an emergency vehicle behind you, will it's lights flashing and sirens blazing, could be construed as an expectation that you move. If the only place you can move, is forward through a red light, is that not an expectation that you break the law?

Or am I in error, thinking that we're taught sirens and flashing lights on emergency vehicles means move out of the way? I am sure that's what I've always been taught.

Blue lights and siren mean nothing more that "I am here".

The only person with authority to direct you through a red light is as far as I understand a constable in uniform. (or perhaps a PCSO)

Is it not the emergency vehicles place to break the law - by crossing into oncoming traffic, going through red lights etc. after all the blues and twos negate any legal action.

"You are not required by law to do anything apart from act responsibly. You can't be prosecuted for trying, and failing to make way for an emergency vehicle but you can now be prosecuted for deliberately obstructing one. You are fully responsible (as our emergency drivers) for your actions whilst behind the wheel so if you progress through a red light (with or without a camera) or drive at excessive speed to try and avoid an emergency vehicle (etc etc) and you get caught, you'll probably get a good wrap on the knuckles and could legally get prosecuted.

In fairness, I see a lot of aggressive emergency driving and there is no need for it. If an emergency driver encounters traffic of any description whilst driving under emergency conditions he/she should be courteous and try to make their actions as obvious as possible so you, the motorist, can act appropriately. Sirens and horns should not be used as a bullying tactic!!

Please see other posts about how to act when you notice an emergency vehicle

Hope this helps.

Emergency Medical Technician. NHS Ambulance Service."

http://www.bluelightaware.org.uk/?p=239

---------- Post added 13-02-2014 at 15:23 ----------

Where such cases get to court; do you think the judge would take circumstances in to account and be more leniently inclined towards the driver?

I'd always be very wary going through a red light; it's possibly you could actually make matters worse, and cause more chaos on the road (in addition to landing yourself in trouble legally).

"You must not break the law to move out of the way for an emergency vehicle, and you will be liable for prosecution if you do. A report in the media some months ago described how a woman driver was picked up by a traffic signal camera. She had moved forwards to clear the path for an ambulance. But she was prosecuted anyhow. The report included a comment by a representative (Union?) for the emergency services, who said the woman should have stayed put, because their drivers have the necessary skills to get through. If that was a court statement, he/she shot the woman's case to bits."

From RAC site 2008.

Even the emergency services apparently won't(or can't) back you up.

Thank you all.

A report in the media some months ago described how a woman driver was picked up by a traffic signal camera. She had moved forwards to clear the path for an ambulance. But she was prosecuted anyhow. The report included a comment by a representative (Union?) for the emergency services, who said the woman should have stayed put, because their drivers have the necessary skills to get through. If that was a court statement, he/she shot the woman's case to bits.

Seems a bit harsh to be honest. The woman probably was acting from her instinct to help others, as is punished for doing so (daft cow should have been banker instead, our laws seem to reward the unscrupulous, more than the decent members of our society).

Anyhow, thanks for taking the time to clarify the position...

I will be more inclined to do less now, and act even slower, in order to facilitate safe and speedy passage of emergency vehicles. As I also need to spend more precious time considering the legal ramifications of any action I may or may not take. Indeed, giving consideration to the legal position, and possible comebacks to myself, is more important than if the poor soul in the back of the ambulance lives or dies.

Incidentally, what else do drivers do that is illegal in order to help an emergency vehicle pass. e.g. Is intentionally mounting the curb illegal?

Slightly off topic but pedestrians should also use a little common sense when at a crossing and hearing a siren. I actually witnessed an elderly lady crossing whilst the green man was on a few weeks ago, forcing the ambulance to pull up and wait for her to slowly cross the road. I know there's probably no legal obligation to stop and let an emergency vehicle through a pelican crossing, but I'm sure most don't begrudge waiting an extra 15 seconds so the ambulance has a clear run through. Everyone else at the crossing waited. And there's no doubt this lady knew the ambulance was there; she looked straight at it and then slowly continued across. Nothing was going to stop her doing her shopping!

No, please do not use common sense; it will not save you from legal consequences. Forget common sense people, please just do what is legal.

To clarify, what I mean is; it's not common sense that counts (in the eyes of the law), rather, it's following the letter and the form of the law. We are not encouraged to think for ourself and do what we consider to be the most appropriate action for a given situation; the law discourages us from doing such, because it prosecutes us when we do so.

It is better (in the eyes of the law) to be an unthinking robot, not to act with good will and consideration to your fellow man, but to simply understand the legalities of the situation, do what is legal, and throw appropriateness and common sense out of the window.

There is no place for good will, because acting from good will, results in the law punishing you (as in the example willman gave).

Isn't that correct?

People always react stupidly when they see an ambulance mostly because they're not paying attention to what they're doing.

It's really not hard to figure out that if you put your foot down and get into a space you'll be well out of the way.

Unfortunately some people are idiots, they're not paying attention and automatically slam on their brakes.

It's when it happens at traffic lights, and some moron is sat at a green light waiting for the ambulance to attempt to squeeze past instead of moving off and out of the way :loopy::loopy::loopy::rant::rant::rant::rant:

Thanks for that broad generalisation Mr Fittipaldi :rolleyes:

Good video: http://www.bluelightaware.org.uk

Also some interesting comments on this post: http://www.bluelightaware.org.uk/?p=239

For example...

As an adult, I’m able to make informed decisions. If its safe to cross the white line, or enter a bus lane, to enable an emergency vehicle past that would otherwise be stuck – why wouldn’t you?

– all blue-light drivers to not get cross with drivers obeying the current Highway Code or a change in the Highway Code is not my decision to make, but I would be more than cross if a relative of mine died because everyone obeyed the existing Highway Code when by behaving differently, but safely, a life could have been saved.

My bold.

It it was a relative of yours, in the back of an ambulance, with an urgent need to get to hospital FAST. Would you be happy if your relative died en-route to the hospital, because a driver legally obstructed the ambulance, because he didn't want to break the law by safely pulling over in to a bus lane?

It's not a question about what to do, it's more of advice for those that seem to be confused (although if an emergency vehicle driver wants to correct me then I'll be happy to learn).

Halifax Road this morning (2 lane, dual carriageway)

Rapid response ambulance Volvo comes down the road in the 2nd lane.

Both cars in front of it, side by side, immediately stop.

Volvo can't actually fly, so it has to now sound it's horn in addition to the sirens to get the idiots to move!

What they should have done, IMO, is car in the left hand lane, slow down somewhat (not stop, there is no reason). Car in the overtaking lane, finish overtaking, and pull in.

The result of that would be that the Volvo barely has to slow at all, the car actually in it's lane gets out of the way, instead of just stopping in front of it, causing the Volvo to stop.

It's not rocket science is it?

The road in front of both these cars was clear as far as it was visible by the way, so they had the option to speed up, slow down or change lane all in complete safety.

I can't understand why anyone would do it any differently, but they do. The stupidity of some drivers is beyond all reason.

---------- Post added 13-02-2014 at 18:01 ----------

It's not something that is really taught when learning to drive. And if it is, it's a difficult scenario to produce for learning.

I can remember being quite nervous and trying to think quickly the best thing to do the first time I was in a similar situation. It's all second nature to me now though.

It should probably be compulsive learning for the test.

But you are taught to check your mirrors frequently so you should be well aware of an emergency vehicle long before it is up your ass. :)

So they don't hear the siren? They did, obviously, but then they did the wrong thing.

Maybe not in the instance you're talking about, but often. I saw it this morning at the Hanover / Glossop Road intersection. Ambulance sirens going for ages, cars still setting off across Hanover Way, when the lights told them to, cutting off an ambulance going up Glossop Road. I wondered at the time how they could not have noticed it.

Archived