What If You Won Euromillions??

Step one, buy an ocean-worthy yacht we could both live on and that could sail to where we'd want it, hire a crew to ensure it is in the place we want it to be when we want it to be there.

Step two, buy a huge building plot up in the Highlands, hire an architect (got one in mind) and build a very nice house with mooring for our ocean-worthy yacht.

Step three, buy a nice house on the water (preferably the PM Kanaal) in my homeland Friesland, again with mooring for the yacht.

Step four, set up a scientific trust, researching things that we'd like to research, from social interaction and social media through to education and social research methods.

This would probably cost around 8 million, needing another 15 million to ensure it is all financed until the end of our lives. If we won significantly more than 23 million I'd consider buying a football club (depending on how much over 23 we'd have), I reckon I'd need about 40 million to turn Wednesday around, so that would be a bit of a stretch I suppose.

Who'd need to be with quidzillions. As tinfiol says, lack of imagination.

Lack of imagination?!? That's the pot calling the kettle black!! Why don't you use your imagination for once! I love my job, it's my life. I don't have to work as it is, but I do it for the love.

If you think you'll win tens or even hundreds of millions and live a life of luxury (depending on your are), you've got another thing coming. Well.....unless you're a total numbskull. The mind and body needs to keep busy.

---------- Post added 14-02-2014 at 08:15 ----------

You wouldn't stop working after winning tens of millions? I'm not sure whether that's pure greed and selfishness or a staggering lack of imagination.

This comment says more about you than it does about me. There are many reasons why some people would want to carry on working. It's got nothing to do with a lack of imagination. You have obviously never been in a position where you love what you do for a living. I feel sorry for you, you're are obviously a depressed individual who has under succeeded in life.

I would love to be able to live where we choose - a detached bungalow with a nice garden in the south west of the city, nearer to our Cheshire grandchildren. My OH would have a self contained music studio with all the latest equipment.

I'd like to be able to help our family and friends to be a wee bit more comfortable financially, and put a bit aside for the grandchildren's future. There are also charities I'd like to support, and I'd probably pay my way through a university degree. Its something I planned to do in retirement, but I can't afford the fees!

Although I really admire the Sheffield couple who have been so generous with their winnings, I wouldn't want any publicity, so any donations of ours would be anonymous.

I'm retired already, so giving up work isn't an option.

But if I had won big money at the age of 30 or so, I wouldn't have needed to work for a living. For a young doctor, financially independent, there are lots of opportunities to work where people can't afford to pay, to follow a research project without having to beg for funding, and so on.

I eould likt to be able to give my grandchildren such opportunities.

You wouldn't stop working after winning tens of millions? I'm not sure whether that's pure greed and selfishness or a staggering lack of imagination.

Imagine you could sort up your own business, be your own boss with no financial worries whatsoever and have the beauty of watching your baby grown. Think of all the experience you would gain.

There are only so many holidays you can take before you get fed up with them, as many lottery winners have discovered.

Imagine you could sort up your own business, be your own boss with no financial worries whatsoever and have the beauty of watching your baby grown. Think of all the experience you would gain.

There are only so many holidays you can take before you get fed up with them, as many lottery winners have discovered.

Woahhh my "lack of imagination" comment raised a few hackles. I run my own business which I started from scratch. I enjoy it, but it's still work. If I had a billion pound idea I'd do it already - but I don't. I'm not sure why a massive intake of capital will suddenly give you a winning business idea or business acumen. What it will do is burn through money like mad, particularly if you get it wrong - having a big wedge won't give a guarentee of getting it right.

I remember hearing various stories of ex-miners starting their own businesses with big fat redundancy cheques behind them. The ones that dipped in out of it and had the odd holiday went bust and the ones that had the passion, drive and put the hours in didn't. I've done that - if I've got £50m I've got lots of things to do and see and some charity work too. But clocking in to the same job I did before, and if in your case working for someone else - no chance. Not with 2.5 million unemployed - I couldn't have it on my conscience.

Woahhh my "lack of imagination" comment raised a few hackles. I run my own business which I started from scratch. I enjoy it, but it's still work. If I had a billion pound idea I'd do it already - but I don't. I'm not sure why a massive intake of capital will suddenly give you a winning business idea or business acumen. What it will do is burn through money like mad, particularly if you get it wrong - having a big wedge won't give a guarentee of getting it right.

I remember hearing various stories of ex-miners starting their own businesses with big fat redundancy cheques behind them. The ones that dipped in out of it and had the odd holiday went bust and the ones that had the passion, drive and put the hours in didn't. I've done that - if I've got £50m I've got lots of things to do and see and some charity work too. But clocking in to the same job I did before, and if in your case working for someone else - no chance. Not with 2.5 million unemployed - I couldn't have it on my conscience.

Which is why I wouldn't give up work. I'm self employed and I love my work, it's my passion.

Archived