Fed up of non believers

Gravity didn't stop them from moving apart so why is it now pulling them together.

It's not pulling them together, it's just pulling a very small number of them together.

The gravitational attraction between two galaxies at the distances usually involved is too small to have a significant effect, so most galaxies more or less follow the general flow of the expansion. But for nearby galaxies, like ours and Andromeda, it is a different story. For nearby galaxies the gravitational attraction can be very significant and the interactions much more dramatic.

Early on, when the universe was much denser than it is today, gravity had much more influence and there was more collisions. But the expansion of the universe is accelerating and these collisions are becoming less frequent.

There's a lot of stuff that goes over my head. The brain is described as matter whereas the mind cannot be defined, is it some sort of electrical stimulant that emanates from the brain in the form of an external consciousness?

I find Carl Jungs theory of the collective unconsciousness another one of lifes mysteries.

"(in Jungian psychology) inborn unconscious psychic material common to humankind, accumulated by the experience of all preceding generations. "

Yes i'm the same, I can only grasp so much of it, but I do have some degree of interest.

The advances of neuroscience since modern technology has produced some amazing findings, but scientists hoping to understand the mystery of human consciousness have yet been unable to do so.

One scientist I heard speaking on the subject, said "we may have to just accept that some of life's mysteries may never be explained".

I'm mainly with science, although it's nowhere near having all the answers yet.

Well I'm with science and a belief in a divine creator, "blind faith" perhaps is how some would describe it, but so what.

And I don't see why there needs to be a conflict with science and religion.

---------- Post added 25-02-2014 at 14:14 ----------

Isn't this amazing!

Edited by janie48
un-narrated link added.

What threw the galaxies apart in the first place.

Well according to Monseigneur Georges Lemaitre, a Belgian Roman Catholic priest and Physicist, it was the 'Big Bang'.

Presumably after many millions of years the propulsion provided by the Big Bang began to lose it's power and gravity began to exert it's effect?

It's not pulling them together, it's just pulling a very small number of them together.

The gravitational attraction between two galaxies at the distances usually involved is too small to have a significant effect, so most galaxies more or less follow the general flow of the expansion. But for nearby galaxies, like ours and Andromeda, it is a different story. For nearby galaxies the gravitational attraction can be very significant and the interactions much more dramatic.

Early on, when the universe was much denser than it is today, gravity had much more influence and there was more collisions. But the expansion of the universe is accelerating and these collisions are becoming less frequent.

If the big bang theory is correct, at the begging it was more dense so significantly stronger, yet something manged to overcome it and push matter apart. So something opposed the very strong gravitational attraction of the early universe but isn't opposing it know in some parts of the universe.

Thats right, but we wasn't talking about how fast the edge of the universe is moving away from us, it was about how fast it is moving away from a planet at the very edge of the universe, for them the out edge will be moving at 74.3 km/sec, assuming that it is actually expanding.

You're conflating the expansion, or stretching of space, with physically moving.

jb

Well according to Monseigneur Georges Lemaitre, a Belgian Roman Catholic priest and Physicist, it was the 'Big Bang'.

Presumably after many millions of years the propulsion provided by the Big Bang began to lose it's power and gravity began to exert it's effect?

Which apparently wasn't an explosion and was just an expansion. Not quite sure what the difference is since an my understanding of an explosion is that it is an energetic expansion. What caused nothing to expand to become something, I understand how a star will one day expand and then contract, but we are being lead to believe that nothing expanded and created everything.

---------- Post added 25-02-2014 at 14:31 ----------

You're conflating the expansion, or stretching of space, with physically moving.

jb

If space is stretching why isn't it stretching between the earth and the sun or the moon and the earth, and how do nothing stretch into something.

Which apparently wasn't an explosion and was just an expansion. Not quite sure what the difference is since an my understanding of an explosion is that it is an energetic expansion. What caused nothing to expand to become something, I understand how a star will one day expand and then contract, but we are being lead to believe that nothing expanded and created everything.

Well if everything did expand from a single point, whether they want to call it an explosion or not I wouldn't have liked to have been in the vicinity at the time! :D

There is also the theory that the expansion of the universe will continue to a certain point and then start to reverse and eventually return to it's beginning.

As this apparently involves time running backward I'm not too keen on the idea.

I mean it's going to give a whole new meaning to going to the toilet. :o

And as for the whole sex and birth thing don't even think about it! :o :o