Friends Coming Round Unannounced & Uninvited!

Somewhere on Youtube is some audio of an interview with John Lennon just before he died. He was talking about how Paul just turned up out of the blue unannounced at his and Yoko's New York Dekota apartment one day with a guitar which he said irked him very much. This event was the final time John and Paul were together before John died which is quite sad really.

OK, I am with the OP on this.

But...... there are three (and only three) people who I don't mind just

"dropping in" anytime. Two have been best mates all my life, others are ex next door neighbours who were always popping in before they moved so we are used to it.

Everyone else should ring or text first like I do.

I do as taxman does. I let nobody in that I am not expecting, especially at night. My neighbour was forever buzzing me because she forgot her key, I was fed up with it.

Even family always let me know they are coming round.

I wouldn't do it with others and expect the same courtesy in return.

BF, hide behind the sofa when the doorbell goes. Or alternatively, open the door wearing outdoor things and say you are just on your way out, and would they please let you know next time so you can be in.

I know a couple who have an even worse situation. On reasonably regular intervals over many years the two siblings of one of them turn up unannounced and expect to stay overnight and sometimes for a couple of days.

As both siblings live over a hundred miles away they find it difficult to say no.

My advice was to keep a suitcase packed with overnight requirements and the next time it happens say ' Oh that's a shame, we are just about to leave for a couple of days away! We wish you'd let us know you were coming!

Then leave and stay overnight with us at the other end of town.

Might work, on the other hand they might say ' Oh that's OK, leave us your keys and we'll look after ourselves! :o

I know a couple who have an even worse situation. On reasonably regular intervals over many years the two siblings of one of them turn up unannounced and expect to stay overnight and sometimes for a couple of days.

As both siblings live over a hundred miles away they find it difficult to say no.

My advice was to keep a suitcase packed with overnight requirements and the next time it happens say ' Oh that's a shame, we are just about to leave for a couple of days away! We wish you'd let us know you were coming!

Then leave and stay overnight with us at the other end of town.

Might work, on the other hand they might say ' Oh that's OK, leave us your keys and we'll look after ourselves! :o

So you don't mind people turning up unanounced then?

When is it ok to 'pop in' on someone unannounced?

I don't even do it to my mother fgs, so why do folks think it's ok to do it to me (Jamaica's answer to Victor Meldrew) :rant:

I'm beginning to feel like a victim the JW's are trying to convert and a pretty miserable one at that...

In 30 to 40 years time they may bring in a law that that calls it Indecently Visited, so start documenting times, names etc and if any become celebrities you maybe on for a large payout.

Archived