Friendly, happy and jovial Northerners?

The positive side of the North-South divide has traditionally always been that we northerners are 'more friendly, open and relaxed' than southerners? Usually described so by those southern cousins themselves.

But surfing this site for ten minutes or more my southern cousins doubted this fact/cliche, and being a Sheffielder who often sees in person how ignorant and miserable many locals are, I doubt that this is still true per se?

We Sheffielders/Northerners have a fantastic sense of humour and are warm and helpful etc, but are we gradually degenerating into a cesspit of "whingeing Poms" and complaining about anything, as the Aussies say?

As somebody that made Sheffield my home fourteen years ago I can honestly say that this board is in no way representative of the people of Sheffield.

People of Sheffield are a warm, welcoming bunch with all the time in the world for strangers and always go out of their way to be friendly. I don't know what it is about this forum; maybe it's the anonymity, or maybe the people who use this forum never actually leave their computers and therefore are never the Sheffielders I actually meet, but the forum is populated by some seriously troubled individuals.

A case in point is what happened last year when I had the temerity to mention on the Sheffield Sports section that I was going to Hillsborough that weekend with my Ipswich Town supporting mate to cheer on Ipswich. I received some appalling PMs' threatening me with violence and even some strong posts telling me that I had no right to post in the forum. It being water off a duck's back with me, I decided not to pursue it (although I could have done). I was further accused of reporting posters and received further abusive PMs' as a result. I had reported nobody and just decided to leave the Sheffield Sports section to their own devices as they obviously didn't want outsiders posting in there. They are certainly not representative of the people of Sheffield.

It is worth pointing out however, that I did receive one nice PM from a poster who was obviously extremely embarrassed about the way I was spoken to.

Sheffield has certainly changed for the worst, whilst there are still friendly people and a bit of a 'village' feel to the place still, it is not like it used to be.

I disagree "for the worse" that is. It certainly has changed but most people of Sheffield haven't. Uncomplicated and make light of a bad deal. No one is always happy or jovial..anywhere, but SY folk are very approachable...and I'm not from this neck of the woods.

---------- Post added 14-02-2014 at 19:26 ----------

As somebody that made Sheffield my home fourteen years ago I can honestly say that this board is in no way representative of the people of Sheffield.

People of Sheffield are a warm, welcoming bunch with all the time in the world for strangers and always go out of their way to be friendly. I don't know what it is about this forum; maybe it's the anonymity, or maybe the people who use this forum never actually leave their computers and therefore are never the Sheffielders I actually meet, but the forum is populated by some seriously troubled individuals.

It is worth pointing out however, that I did receive one nice PM from a poster who was obviously extremely embarrassed about the way I was spoken to.

Ditto..

A case in point is what happened last year when I had the temerity to mention on the Sheffield Sports section that I was going to Hillsborough that weekend with my Ipswich Town supporting mate to cheer on Ipswich. I received some appalling PMs' threatening me with violence and even some strong posts telling me that I had no right to post in the forum. It being water off a duck's back with me, I decided not to pursue it (although I could have done). I was further accused of reporting posters and received further abusive PMs' as a result. I had reported nobody and just decided to leave the Sheffield Sports section to their own devices as they obviously didn't want outsiders posting in there. They are certainly not representative of the people of Sheffield.

Keep of the toga section mate its reserved for the chosen few.

This forum is nothing like people are out in the real world, thank goodness or I for one would never go out again :hihi:

I don't think that people realise just how easy it is to come across very wrong online and I'm sure that we all are guilty of that sometimes, but some seem to take delight in being hurtful in one way or another.

Yorkshire people are still lovely...just some Yorkshire people leave a bit to be desired once they get behind the keyboard.

It's a myth that northerners are more friendly.....

I'm a sheffielder and have many friends from all over the uk....most of them met through my love of caravanning.

Sheffield humour doesn't differ from any other in my experience.

The difference is the dialect...nothing more.

When I was considering moving to Wales, I heard the myth (yes, myth) that they wouldn't accept "outsiders" .....what a load of bull!

This idea that Sheffield folks are more friendly is an urban myth created from ignorance....and I suggest by Sheffielders who have never travelled further than Skeggy for a holiday.

Archived