BAGGIN and their family

cybergran3

:) hiya all, I'm new to your group, I don't know Sheffield, so any help would be appreciated.

Wonder if anyone has BAGGIN in their family tree?

James BAGGAN born Ireland 1795 was in Royal Artillery, died June quarter 1847 Sheffield, he married 1822 in Pontefract Anne MARTIN. They had 2 son: John 1822 (my line, he stayed in Pontefract, had 7 daughters) Samuel Martin 1825 (both born Pontefract, but he later went to Sheffield to marry & have children) who I found living on own in Pontefract 1841 Census.

For years I thought parents had died until I found them (on this website, so thanks)in Sheffield 1841 Census with more children: M.A. (daughter) 1828, George 1830 (both born Dublin, Ireland), James 1834 & Sarah A. 1837 (both born Sheffield) It looks like they left 2 sons in Pontefract then went to Ireland before moving to Sheffield, where name changed to BAGGIN.

I've found some family stayed in Sheffield, (are any still there?) some move to Leeds, also Haworth YKS, where one even emigrated to Australia.

Thanks xx

---------- Post added 16-02-2014 at 02:33 ----------

my John married Harriet THOMPSON June quarter 1844 Sheffield 22/437

Samuel Martin m. Eliza DOUNHILL Mar 1844 22/377

M.A. (not sure but could be Mary Ann m. Dec 1846 22/546 but with a choice of 4 Williams could be any of them)

George m. Caroline WEBSTER Dec 1849 22/594

not sure about last 2 children, James or Sarah, yet

...I've found some family stayed in Sheffield, (are any still there?)...
Hi cybergran3 - welcome to the Forum!.:). Recent electoral rolls (since 2002) don't show any Baggins in Sheffield; in fact in the whole of the UK only four or five are listed, all in Norfolk or Suffolk. Most or all of these seem to hail from Chapel en le Frith..:)

there are about 300 Baggin family trees on ancesrtry ,but beware some of the research is "very sloppy" some have samuel baggin's death in 1860 derbyshire despite him being on the 1861 census ,plus no one seems to have his second marriage to selina marsh may 1860

hello 'hillsbro' thanks for welcome x

I was told to join this group as you were the person to ask for help lol thanks for your reply. Strange there are no BAGGIN or BAGGAN still living locally. Though I know my line died out with John BAGGAN & Harriet THOMPSON who lived in Pontefract only had daughters (seven) so name died out, looks like all the other lines died out too.

By the way I see are you from Lincolnshire, My Harriet THOMPSON was born in Normanby, Lincoln circa 1822

thanks xx

---------- Post added 17-02-2014 at 14:06 ----------

thanks 'lobster' for reply,

I have my BAGGAN tree on Ancestry too, (not a paid member) and made contact with Aussie cousin, so that's how I know one line emigrated to Australia. I know not just to copy details from other's trees I do try to check them out and confirm the info first. It does make me laugh & cringe to know folk just copy others trees willy nilly, just so they can get more names added.

I have a Samuel but not in Derbyshire

thanks xx

Archived