Belgium passes euthanasia bill for all children

I suppose you would have to be in a situation where it was relevant to you to know what you truly think about this, but as someone not in the position to have to contemplate actually doing it, it seems a rather shocking idea.

If one of my parents were in a situation where they were in unbearable pain and with no prospect of surviving it and asking me to help them die I like to think I would be strong enough to fulfill their wish, but if it was one of my children I really do not think I could bare to live myself if I did.

Its a really complex thing to think about, so please discuss.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-26181615

I'm having difficulty actually commenting on it without the thought of my children being in such a position running through my head. In order for me not to think about it I'll leave it for others to comment. Rather a bold move though.

Well I like to say it how it is, do you think the title is misleading in some way ?

No the title is not misleading and nor did the other guy suggest it was. The title is rather inappropriate coming from someone who claims that "Its a really complex thing to think about".

On topic, I think that euthanasia should be legal in all cases (subject obviously to safeguards). I reject any argument that someone should linger in pain because the planet hasn't orbited the sun 18 times since they were born.

I'm having difficulty actually commenting on it without the thought of my children being in such a position running through my head. In order for me not to think about it I'll leave it for others to comment. Rather a bold move though.

I know, as soon as you start thinking about the question it gets all emotive doesn't it :(

Its not nice to have to think about but some people out there are probably having to as we chat.

I put the title as I have because to me it would actually seem like that's what its like doing. I don't see with compassion because I'm not in the situation, so I can afford to be appalled by it.

No the title is not misleading and nor did the other guy suggest it was. The title is rather inappropriate coming from someone who claims that "Its a really complex thing to think about".

On topic, I think that euthanasia should be legal in all cases (subject obviously to safeguards). I reject any argument that someone should linger in pain because the planet hasn't orbited the sun 18 times since they were born.

My title does not take away the complexity of it, it merely suggests that I see it with negativity.

Like I say you would have to be in the situation and I am not ruling out that I would see it differently if I had to, but at the moment it seems to me as I have expressed it in my title.

---------- Post added 16-02-2014 at 13:23 ----------

Maybe he likes to say how it is. Do you think that's also misleading?

Look I'm not getting into a debate about the title, if you don't like the title then ok, I have stated why it is what it is, if you don't want to talk about the core of the topic then click the back button.

Archived