Belgium passes euthanasia bill for all children

As with any thread. The full details are found inside it. Stop moaning.

I do not moan (not in serious threads, at any rate); I expose flaws in arguments, and I explain the effect of causes. The aptly named Mr Clowning is frustrated by the lack of response to his chosen topic and I told him why it was the case. Others agree with my analysis, it seems.

You, on the other hand, merely contradict. Your point about the content becoming clear once you open the thread is a weak one. The whole point of a thread title (or news headline) is that it should draw readers in - but not dishonestly or sensationalistically, and above all it should communicate clearly.

Language is power :)

I do not moan (not in serious threads, at any rate); I expose flaws in arguments, and I explain the effect of causes. The aptly named Mr Clowning is frustrated by the lack of response to his chosen topic and I told him why it was the case. Others agree with my analysis, it seems.

You, on the other hand, merely contradict. Your point about the content becoming clear once you open the thread is a weak one. The whole point of a thread title (or news headline) is that it should draw readers in - but not dishonestly or sensationalistically.

Language is power :)

I agree the thread title isn't perfect. But only someone with the IQ of a potato would look at this particular thread title and actually believe that it means all children in Belgium are being put down. And even if this minority potato population did think that, they would soon see they were wrong once they open the thread and can swiftly move on.

Ditto. There is no age limit on pain. I see no reason to let children suffer in agony simply because they're under 18.

jb

The problem hinges I suppose, not on whether the child is in intolerable pain which is incapable of palliation (rare, these days), but at what age a human being has the understanding to demand an end to his or her own life. Obviously (in the eyes of the Belgian government), it is at some point between birth and 18 years old, but when? This is, I think, why the caveat has been built in that the parents and the doctor must also agree.

In practice I cannot imagine that any parent would consent to this for any child under 16 or 17 - or even for any teenager who was not exceptionally mature for his or her age. If anyone you love is in unbearable pain at the end of life, morphine both palliates and in the quantity needed, it speeds the end. But who could bear to stand by and see a fatal dose of barbituates given to their child to end their life?

With conditions which are life-threatening and painful but not at end stage, I wonder whether any parent would agree to their child's request?

Very difficult one though.

---------- Post added 17-02-2014 at 12:50 ----------

But only someone with the IQ of a potato would look at this particular thread title and actually believe that it means all children in Belgium are being put down. And even if this minority potato population did think that, they would soon see they were wrong once they open the thread and can swiftly move on.

Well, I do not have the IQ of a potato, but in the absence of any context other than 'this is a general discussion forum', I looked at the title and was confused by it. You would have to be familiar with the news item before being able to guess what it meant.

I agree the thread title isn't perfect.

Oh. So you've changed your mind on that, then. Not long ago you said it was 'just fine'.:rolleyes:

Perhaps we could just have titles and links and no discussions ?

How ridiculous. Just do a title that is a fair reflection of the actual issue and not something that is misleading. Perhaps read your own article.

What would be wrong with " Belgium passes euthanasia bill for children" ?

You asked for people to discuss and they are.

Ftaod I think its a good way of dealing with a very difficult situation. I wouldnt want a child to be in excruciating pain where there was no cure and no medication to deal with that pain.

---------- Post added 17-02-2014 at 12:01 ----------

I agree the thread title isn't perfect. But only someone with the IQ of a potato would look at this particular thread title and actually believe that it means all children in Belgium are being put down. And even if this minority potato population did think that, they would soon see they were wrong once they open the thread and can swiftly move on.

No it doesnt mean that but the emphasis is that it applies as a possibility for all children in Belgium to access euthanasia when that isnt really the case. Did you bother to read the article/ Are you capable of discussing it in an intelligent and logical manner?

How ridiculous. Just do a title that is a fair reflection of the actual issue and not something that is misleading. Perhaps read your own article.

What would be wrong with " Belgium passes euthanasia bill for children" ?

You asked for people to discuss and they are.

Ftaod I think its a good way of dealing with a very difficult situation. I wouldnt want a child to be in excruciating pain where there was no cure and no medication to deal with that pain.

---------- Post added 17-02-2014 at 12:01 ----------

No it doesnt mean that but the emphasis is that it applies as a possibility for all children in Belgium to access euthanasia when that isnt really the case. Did you bother to read the article/ Are you capable of discussing it in an intelligent and logical manner?

I agree.

Who came up with the second version of the thread title, anyway?

Can anyone confirm that upon reading the thread title, they thought that all children in Belgium would/could access euthanasia?

No, that would be silly, that's why I suggested it. My suggestion wasn't aimed at the complexities but more about the original title which could have impacted on parents who have children suffering. As I said previously Sheffield has a worldwide reputation for palliative care for children. Terminally ill children themselves are very unlikely to log on to SF, parents on the other hand may well do looking for information, advice or simply reaching out. I really can't imagine what it must be like to be in that position, but through empathy I guess it's gut wrenching. To somehow connect the idea of "putting down" and letting your child go as even vaguely connected IMO is crass. We put dogs down, and also vermin. Totally insensitive and not clever.

No, that would be silly, that's why I suggested it. My suggestion wasn't aimed at the complexities but more about the original title which could have impacted on parents who have children suffering. As I said previously Sheffield has a worldwide reputation for palliative care for children. Terminally ill children themselves are very unlikely to log on to SF, parents on the other hand may well do looking for information, advice or simply reaching out. I really can't imagine what it must be like to be in that position, but through empathy I guess it's gut wrenching. To somehow connect the idea of "putting down" and letting your child go as even vaguely connected IMO is crass. We put dogs down, and also vermin. Totally insensitive and not clever.

I'm referring to the new title.

I'm referring to the new title.

I know. I suggested it and it was changed to my suggestion. It was the original I had a beef with. My suggestion doesn't suggest all children unless my suggestion was taken as literal and all children are about to be euthanised by the Belgian state.

I know. I suggested it and it was changed to my suggestion. It was the original I had a beef with. My suggestion doesn't suggest all children unless my suggestion was taken as literal and all children are about to be euthanised by the Belgian state.

I can't say I disagree with any of that.

Archived