Would you expect sanctuary here at home?

oooo

Britain is brilliant, but we need to work with the world to make sure it stays that way.

I do agree Jmack, but there's a difference to working with the world and supporting them. It's about priorities not exclusion.

I do agree Jmack, but there's a difference to working with the world and supporting them. It's about priorities not exclusion.

But when people criticise Britain it's not because they hate it, just trying to make it better. How far would any of us got if we received nothing but praised.

But when people criticise Britain it's not because they hate it, just trying to make it better. How far would any of us got if we received nothing but praised.

Ah, well there is a huge gap there Jmack. You do not bite the hand that feeds you, and to think that helping others financially is prosperous for the UK is dangerous. We cannot heal the worlds ills but we can sort our own house out first, and if help is financially possible afterwards, then that is fine. It's the way it's done that counts, and with regard to people not hating, well some do have funny way of showing patriotism to the very country that they depend on.

To contribute, you must have read the original post where it pointed out that the usual bunch would make reference to racism.

And you did a fine job. Why not stop and think about things, before accusing someone of being a racist, because that's what you've done.

If your daughter was on fire, would you give the water to an Ethiopian before putting her out?

Hypocrisy is in abundance lately.

I am sorry but that is a staggeringly stupid analogy. If my daughter was on fire I wouldn't even consider the nationality of any of person before helping my daughter.

To the op who banged on about us being known as a moral country? Are you joking? We are the country that invented the concentration camp, committed the last successful act of genocide, invaded more countries than any other and made more from the slave trade than any other country with the possible exception of Spain.

"Where has all the sense of national pride gone? Were all the anti-british not cheering when the service men and women came home from the Falklands/Iraq/Afghanistan? Were they not saddened by Diana,s death or happy at the Royal birth or overjoyed at britain getting gold at the olympics?"

I am not Anti-British and did not cheer when the service men came home, I didn't care. I didn't give a dam when Diana died, no more so than when any other nice person dies. I didn't give a dam when the Price was born (even though I like the royals). I was however glad when the many many Brits won their Olympic events.

Quote of the op:

"If you decide you want an affair in a muslim country, you will be buried up to your head and decorated with stones, man or woman."

Only one country that I know of has ever judicially stoned someone for adultery, Saudi Arabia. There are (I believe) more non Muslim countries in the world that have judicial punishments for adultery than Muslim ones (including 23 US States). Still, lets have a pop at the Muslims shall we?

If your daughter was on fire, would you give the water to an Ethiopian before putting her out?

What about if the Ethiopian were on fire and your daughter just fancied a lemon tea?

---------- Post added 16-02-2014 at 20:25 ----------

Funnily enough we were talking about this the other day, when my o/h said 'why do the British hate the British? I couldn't answer him because sometimes it truly seems that he's right.
More relevantly the question should be "why do so many British people suffer from a persecution complex?".

As far as I can remember, homecoming soldiers are extremely well received, millions mourned the death of Diana and traffic stopped to celebrate the birth of Prince George.

What with all the hoo hah surrounding the royal boys helping with the flood, and UKIP trying so hard to make Britain british again, its weird that so many people are taking the pee out of all of it.

Where has all the sense of national pride gone? Were all the anti-british not cheering when the service men and women came home from the Falklands/Iraq/Afghanistan? Were they not saddened by Diana,s death or happy at the Royal birth or overjoyed at britain getting gold at the olympics?

No matter how funny or amusing people may think UKIP are, or how they presume Wills and Harry are sandbagging for publicity, its more than obvious that some people are just anti-british and shamefully pro-europe and bottom suckers to the rest of the world.

Probably unwittingly, to think this way goes against every fibre of who we are. If for example, you want to slate the hierarchy in Korea, you should expect more than a few people telling you how wrong you are on a forum. If you wanted to embrace your partner in a middle east country, be prepared for a bit of porridge. If you decide you want an affair in a muslim country, you will be buried up to your head and decorated with stones, man or woman.

The UK has an identity of being a socially moral and safe country to live in, with many benefits to our lives here. We are a mostly a nation of decent, law abiding moderate people, with the will to do the right thing emblazoned in our souls.

But we cannot control our Governments once we have voted them into power. They give away huge amounts of our revenues to countries that use this cash in ways that we cannot control. They bow to EU directives that basically run our lives, however much we dislike it. They allow immigration in huge numbers, when our own children need the housing/jobs/healthcare.

And yet, people will still yell that this is OK, and any person or party who is opposed to the destruction of Britain by foreign intervention is a racist or a nutty BNP/UKIP/EDL sympathizer.

I personally am not a racist nor a sympathizer, but I believe that the multiculturalism that the UK is now signed up to, and the intervention of our constitution by Brussels, is sickening to say the very least, and I feel so sorry for our children and our childrens children that if this breakdown of our identity continues, we will become the dumping ground for the worlds problems.

I dont think that its wrong to think about the future of our world, and the very fact that we do need the world, but it seems they need us more, but at what cost?

Come on Cameron, put some clout behind the referendum, and put your citizens first, and the world second, and you might just redeem yourself at the election, and if the anti-british cant see just how unfaithful they are being towards their homeland by making fun of the flood victims or the royals helping out in Devon, then why not visit some of the places ive mentioned, then you will realise just how good you've got it here at home.

Dear Mr Farage,

If you want to know why there is a healthy streak of satire in the British re read your post.

I am an avowed pro European but,as yet,not a bottom sucker !!!!

I am sorry but that is a staggeringly stupid analogy. If my daughter was on fire I wouldn't even consider the nationality of any of person before helping my daughter.

To the op who banged on about us being known as a moral country? Are you joking? We are the country that invented the concentration camp, committed the last successful act of genocide, invaded more countries than any other and made more from the slave trade than any other country with the possible exception of Spain.

"Where has all the sense of national pride gone? Were all the anti-british not cheering when the service men and women came home from the Falklands/Iraq/Afghanistan? Were they not saddened by Diana,s death or happy at the Royal birth or overjoyed at britain getting gold at the olympics?"

I am not Anti-British and did not cheer when the service men came home, I didn't care. I didn't give a dam when Diana died, no more so than when any other nice person dies. I didn't give a dam when the Price was born (even though I like the royals). I was however glad when the many many Brits won their Olympic events.

Quote of the op:

"If you decide you want an affair in a muslim country, you will be buried up to your head and decorated with stones, man or woman."

Only one country that I know of has ever judicially stoned someone for adultery, Saudi Arabia. There are (I believe) more non Muslim countries in the world that have judicial punishments for adultery than Muslim ones (including 23 US States). Still, lets have a pop at the Muslims shall we?

What about having a pop at the Koreans or the Saudis? I don't need to put links to these heinous activities, as they are all freely available to research on line, so no, let's not have a pop at the Muslims. Let's look at the world, and compare it to the UK, as said in the OP.

This isn't an opportunity for you to get your back up over how other countries and cultures handle their affairs. It's about how we handle ours, so please keep your race cards in your pocket, as you've totally missed the point.

What about having a pop at the Koreans or the Saudis? I don't need to put links to these heinous activities, as they are all freely available to research on line, so no, let's not have a pop at the Muslims. Let's look at the world, and compare it to the UK, as said in the OP.

This isn't an opportunity for you to get your back up over how other countries and cultures handle their affairs. It's about how we handle ours, so please keep your race cards in your pocket, as you've totally missed the point.

No you have missed the point. Most of my point was about how we conduct our affairs. Only the last paragraph was about any other countries and was in direct response to a quote you made.

Our history is shameful compared to nearly every other country in the world.

Archived