City School of Motoring

I also remember there being a school of motoring on a bomb site across from the bottom of Granville Road where it was all laid out with roads and traffic signs but that was too posh for me. Mike

It was Jack Clare S.O.M with the road layout in Granville Square, his slogan was 'Drive with Clare'.

I took lessons with Jack Clare in one of the early Hillman imps with a pneumatic throttle,most lessons would end up at his home address where he had to lubricate something in the throttle mechanism.I passed my test first time.

I took lessons with Jack Clare in one of the early Hillman imps with a pneumatic throttle,most lessons would end up at his home address where he had to lubricate something in the throttle mechanism.I passed my test first time.

Got to be the start of a Frankie Howerd joke.:hihi:

• 2 years later...
Had my motorcycle licence since age 16 and took car lessons in 1964 aged 20 not City School of Motoring but at Sheffield School of Motoring with an instructor named Jim. Nice bloke. Passed my test after 6 lessons! Driving was easier in those days. (I was an instructor 1990 to 2002 when things had got more frantic.) Can't remember the address. The car was a Ford Anglia. Have often heard them refered to as Angular as a reference to the shape of the rear window. Had one myself in 1967. Also had a 1953 sit up and beg Anglia 'historic vehicle' in 2002 to 2007.

Drawring etc.drives me crackers. Stands out so much when rest of dialogue is spot on :)

It's a while since my above post, number 3 on this page, but I've just come across this old advert on Picture Sheffield.....

http://www.picturesheffield.com/frontend.php?action=zoomWindow&keywords=Ref_No_increment;EQUALS;y09955&prevUrl=

Does anyone know when the business closed?

I can't remember calling at the address and believe Jim, my Instructor, picked me up in town.

Peter.

Edited by PeterR