EU stabs Scotland in the back

On a more positive note what would your solution be sevenrivers? Would you let the member states vote on who they admit in or would you do that yourself? Whether a country is independent or not is up to them. Whether they are allowed into a club is up to the members. What is unemocratic about that or are you busy being repressed?

On a more positive note what would your solution be sevenrivers? Would you let the member states vote on who they admit in or would you do that yourself? Whether a country is independent or not is up to them. Whether they are allowed into a club is up to the members. What is unemocratic about that or are you busy being repressed?

Here's a Telegraph blog called UKIP needs to do something about its online nutters which has attracted quite a few UKIP online nutters. Someone from Sheffield called Steve Moxon, who is know to the voters of Dore and Totley, is one of the posters. His website is worth a perusal if you are fascinated by unorthodox thinking on race, genetics, gender, etc, written in unfathomable gobbledygook and you don't want to be seen borrowing Mein Kampf from the library;

http://blogs.telegraph.co.uk/news/damianthompson/100259829/ukip-needs-to-do-something-about-its-online-nutters/

I'm betting Alex Salmond would.

I don't know, I thought I was asking the question ?

I thought that the answer to my question would answer your question. Namely, that no country should base their foreign policy on spite. The only deciding factor should be what is the best for our nations interest.

If Scotland apply to join the EU should GB veto them joining out of spite ? :)

No, it would be both petty and counter productive. Whilst I don't think it will come to it anyway, Scotland, having more things in common with England than most other countries would tend to vote alongside England in future EU debates.

Obviously not always, but definitely more often than not. I believe that has often been the case with Ireland, so that may be another reason Barroso doesn't want to encourage the Scots.

• 2 weeks later...
Thing that puzzles me is this. If Scotland have to apply to join the EU because their legal status has changed, doesn't the same principle apply to England, Wales and Northern Ireland?

Surely our legal status has also altered as a result of this change?

We joined as the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland, with our entry credentials being assessed as a single entity.

That would no longer be the case if Scotland votes yes, so how come the remaining substantially altered entity can remain in the EU and Scotland can't?

I posted the above on the 17 February. There is a debate going on in the letters page of the Times regarding Scottish independence.

Someone has written a letter in today's edition making the same point.

'Upon Scotland leaving the Union the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland will cease to exist.'

He questions whether the new version of the altered UK can remain in the EU or the UN security council.

The thing is I'm merely an interested know nowt asking a question, this man is Jeremy Waldron Professor of Social and Political Theory, All Souls College Oxford .

There may be trouble ahead. :o

Archived