Where to live in South Yorkshire

Where roughly in Rotherham are you working

What is your budget

What kind of house/surroundings are you looking for.

Pretty much you can have everything from a city centre flat to a cottage in the countryside and anything inbetween, so it's a question of personal preference and budget.

Where roughly in Rotherham are you working

What is your budget

What kind of house/surroundings are you looking for.

Pretty much you can have everything from a city centre flat to a cottage in the countryside and anything inbetween, so it's a question of personal preference and budget.

I work in the centre. But I am not talking about the property or something. I am interested in what areas are "lovely - people, scenery, etc", not just "ok enough to survive".

The most direct question could be: "what town/village near Rotherham is the nicest?" (in your opinion)

These are a few of my choices being my stamping ground as a youth

Brampton en le morthern

Brookhouse

Hooton Roberts

Slade Hooton

Laughton

Carr

Hooton Levit

Firbeck

Letwell

Oldcoats

Morthen

Ulley

Bits of Wickersley

Maybe even Laughton Common now?.

Edited by xdbx

Philip - are you planning to move house? Have you had a look around some of these areas yourself. If so, which of them did you fancy? If you are wanting to move house, will you be travelling to work by bus or car? The query is rather subjective, particularly the one about people because unless you live in an area for a while it is difficult to assess. Also, what suits one doesn't suit another. A 'close knit' community is fine for some but others might see it as intrusive.

The term 'nice area' is a bit ambiguous because all places have their good points and bad ones. For instance, Morthen is considered 'nice' but there is a road right through it, a farm which creates some odour from the cattle, at times a dirty road due to the tractors and the M1 which is very close indeed.

Maybe you could say a bit about what is important to you then the replies would be more pertinent to your situation.

Edited by ccit

I am not moving immediately. I am just thinking where I would settle if I definitely decided to establish a family.

I am able to appreciate many things. I like modern cities or historic towns and little lovely villages as well. The most important is community that is "civilized" - no rubbish on streets, not many noisy chavs, etc. Somewhere where people don't stare at you because of (I don't know what, it could be anything) or somewhere where you don't have to be worried about your car wing mirrors to be stolen. I am not looking for a community where everybody knows each other. Respectful neighbourhood is enough.

It's also nice when you can see something what can make you happy about the place where you live. It may be lovely nature or beautiful historic buildings in your neighbourhood. Walking alongside medieval walls, driving on lovely country roads or looking at stunning scenery. Doesn't matter what. Just something that has got its own spirit (like York, Whitby, etc in North Yorkshire).

The thing is that I don't know a lot about South Yorkshire. That's because I am interested in other people's opinions what they like here.

Cyclone is correct - you have some good suggestions there so the thing to do is to visit them and walk around. However, living in some of these places needs consideration. For instance, if you are planning on raising a family be aware that you will probably need to run two cars because they are poorly served with public transport. Nipping out for the forgotten item of shopping could entail a journey of several miles. Also, property tends to be more expensive so you may find a higher than normal percentage of older people living there. There are few places in Rotherham that are more than a ten/fifteen minute car journey to open countryside so it is quite possible to live somewhere more practical and affordable and still enjoy the scenery and old buildings.

BTW there are a few villages in Doncaster which are on the borders with Rotherham that might interest you; some that come to mind are Braithwell, Clifton and Stainton.

Edited by ccit