Denmark bans religious slaughter

WeX

yes I like my meat mate, but I wouldnt if some caveman had slit its throat whilst its alive... are you saying a bolt ( which is instant ) is a worse death ?? no, I havent read your post attachment, i dont need some idiot trying to explain cutting an animals throat whilst its alive is ok, I take it thats what its saying... important for meat quality ?? what a load of ****e..

I'm saying a couple of things (three actually):

i) I'm a hypocrite for being an avid meat eater, whilst conveniently forgetting how that slow cooked beef rib arrives at my plate-placed under scrutiny I can't say I'd favour being struck in the head with a bolt, then having my throat cut, over just having my throat cut.

ii) I'm not going to join in with the Muslim bashing game, especially as the majority of the population had no material interest in stunning methods before it was highlighted it was something Muslims don't advocate (although 90% of halal meat in the UK is now pre-stunned).

iii) If the objection is based on not wanting to purchase meat that's had some religious mumbo jumbo chanted over it then I've some sympathy with that view, however it can be effectively addressed by meat being clearly labelled showing whether it's halal, and it's method of stunning (I think the latter would put off as many punters as the former).

i dont need some idiot trying to explain cutting an animals throat whilst its alive is ok,
Whether you agree with his view or not, I don't think you could regard a professor of food science at Cornell University as an 'idiot'.

I take it thats what its saying... important for meat quality ??

No, maybe you should read the article?

what a load of ****e..

So why do you think both conventional and religious slaughter methods invert and bleed the carcass?

---------- Post added 19-02-2014 at 17:06 ----------

cant be bothered with the forum alately, certain people defend anything they believe in, right or wrong..bye..

**The forum equivalent of sticking your fingers in your ears and chanting "lalalalalalalala".**

I'm saying a couple of things (three actually):

i) I'm a hypocrite for being an avid meat eater, whilst conveniently forgetting how that slow cooked beef rib arrives at my plate-placed under scrutiny I can't say I'd favour being struck in the head with a bolt, then having my throat cut, over just having my throat cut.

ii) I'm not going to join in with the Muslim bashing game, especially as the majority of the population had no material interest in stunning methods before it was highlighted it was something Muslims don't advocate (although 90% of halal meat in the UK is now pre-stunned).

iii) If the objection is based on not wanting to purchase meat that's had some religious mumbo jumbo chanted over it then I've some sympathy with that view, however it can be effectively addressed by meat being clearly labelled showing whether it's halal, and it's method of stunning (I think the latter would put off as many punters as the former).

Then you'd be left thrashing around trying to stop the bleeding until you passed out.

Then you'd be left thrashing around trying to stop the bleeding until you passed out.

yep,

I just watched these two videos, ( Squeamish bits do not last long )

both are industrial abattoirs, and the cow isn't alive for long after in either case. But the one with the bolt looks a great deal more humane, the cow can't really see the bolt due to the tight herding but it definitely goes unconscious. It's hoisted and its throat is cut. It never woke up.

The halal method the cow is pinned in a guillotine device which forces the chin up in the air then its throat is split (cut isn't the right word) the cow is certainly not dead straight away, its dropped to the floor then hoisted up and away it goes. The corpses in the background are still twitching and moving.

one is not much better than the other, but the halal one is worse.

A common sense ban and animal rights come before religion.

I couldn't agree more.

https://www.thedodo.com/denmark-bans-ritual-slaughter--435746009.html

Its actually EU law that all animals should be rendered unconscious before they are slaughtered. Denmark like many other EU nations had an exception for Halal and Kosher. All they have done is remove this caveat and rightly so.

Hopefully the UK will soon follow suit and stop pandering to religion and wannabe religious right crusaders.

A common sense ban and animal rights come before religion.

I couldn't agree more.

https://www.thedodo.com/denmark-bans-ritual-slaughter--435746009.html

Its actually EU law that all animals should be rendered unconscious before they are slaughtered. Denmark like many other EU nations had an exception for Halal and Kosher. All they have done is remove this caveat and rightly so.

Hopefully the UK will soon follow suit and stop pandering to religion and wannabe religious right crusaders.

There was a similar article in the Guardian yesterday.

Given that such an overwhelming majority of halal meat is pre-stunned in this country I'm at a loss as to why animal welfare activists calling for a ban on slaughter without stunning is seen as anti-Muslim.

Archived