Denmark bans religious slaughter

WeX

You cannot kill same as domestic pets,the meat would be tainted and unfit for human consumption.

I was hoping Wex would answer the question!

My point was that we already compromise on animal welfare to facilitate meat that's better to eat, why dont we use inert gas for stunning instead of the captive bolt for instance? I suspect it wouldn't be unfit for human consumption, it just wouldn't be as nice to eat as it could be.

My point was that we already compromise on animal welfare to facilitate meat that's better to eat, why dont we use inert gas for stunning instead of the captive bolt for instance? I suspect it wouldn't be unfit for human consumption, it just wouldn't be as nice to eat as it could be.

Isn't a captive bolt faster and easier...? How would you administer an inert gas to a herd of animals? Genuine questions..

Isn't a captive bolt faster and easier...? How would you administer an inert gas to a herd of animals? Genuine questions..

Good point truman, but how does 'faster and easier' equate in terms of animal welfare which seems to be the primary concern of those against religious slaughter? Is the captive bolt used principally for reasons of expediency?

Gas stunning is already used for some animals - mainly pigs.

I know altus, so presumably there's a reason it isn't extended to cows?

An EU document I found reporting on slaughter methods used in the EU said it's probably down to capital cost of the equipment.

From the EU report:

However, the investment costs for such systems are anticipated to be a considerable limitation to the development of the market for this stunning equipment. It is expected that this market would only be developed should concerns about BSE and its transferability with captive bolts become a legislative issue in the future.

The increase in running costs would be negligible - for pigs it's 0.15 EUR per carcass when they have a wholesale value of 117 EUR.

The laws in Islam regarding halal slaughter decree that the animal be taken away out of sight of its herdmates to be slaughtered. It must not be slaughtered in front of its companions, in order that neither it, nor the herdmates are alarmed or distressed.

The animal must be spoken to gently, and handled as gently as possible, not beaten nor manhandled, as far as is practical. It also decrees the size and the sharpness of the knife to be used. (the knife has to be honed razor sharp, so the animal feels practically nothing of the cut - which is another means of avoiding distress to the animal)

It must be one, swift clean cut, in one movement from left to right, severing the two main blood vessels on each side of the neck (the carotid and jugular veins resulting in instantaneous unconsciousness. In Kosher, there can be no snags (burrs) on the cutting edge of the blade, otherwise the meat cannot be classified as Kosher.

Up to the point of slaughter, the animal must be fed and watered, and mustn't be carted for long distances to be slaughtered.

An EU document I found reporting on slaughter methods used in the EU said it's probably down to capital cost of the equipment.

From the EU report:

The increase in running costs would be negligible - for pigs it's 0.15 EUR per carcass when they have a wholesale value of 117 EUR.

So commercial considerations supercede animal welfare ones?

I can't see how/why they would ban it on welfare grounds, there is far worse in the food chain.

However religiously slaughtered meat should be labelled and should be an option in public eateries rather than included by default. It should never be clandestinely served without the knowledge of the consumer.

Archived