Denmark bans religious slaughter

WeX

The laws in Islam regarding halal slaughter decree that the animal be taken away out of sight of its herdmates to be slaughtered. It must not be slaughtered in front of its companions, in order that neither it, nor the herdmates are alarmed or distressed.

The animal must be spoken to gently, and handled as gently as possible, not beaten nor manhandled, as far as is practical. It also decrees the size and the sharpness of the knife to be used. (the knife has to be honed razor sharp, so the animal feels practically nothing of the cut - which is another means of avoiding distress to the animal)

It must be one, swift clean cut, in one movement from left to right, severing the two main blood vessels on each side of the neck (the carotid and jugular veins resulting in instantaneous unconsciousness. In Kosher, there can be no snags (burrs) on the cutting edge of the blade, otherwise the meat cannot be classified as Kosher.

Up to the point of slaughter, the animal must be fed and watered, and mustn't be carted for long distances to be slaughtered.

How does that answer my question which you highlighted?

How does that answer my question which you highlighted?

You were talking about the mas gassing of a herd of animals.

I pointed out that for meat to be halal the killing has to be carried out in accordance with the laws of halal slaughter... Which, as I said in my response above, must not be done in sight of the herd-mates of the animal being slaughtered.

I can't see how/why they would ban it on welfare grounds, there is far worse in the food chain.

However religiously slaughtered meat should be labelled and should be an option in public eateries rather than included by default. It should never be clandestinely served without the knowledge of the consumer.

Agree with all of that 7Rivers and I'd extend the labelling further to include the method of slaughter as well.

• 4 weeks later...
You were talking about the mas gassing of a herd of animals.

I pointed out that for meat to be halal the killing has to be carried out in accordance with the laws of halal slaughter... Which, as I said in my response above, must not be done in sight of the herd-mates of the animal being slaughtered.

If your post above is how it should be done then there is plenty of meat which is claimed to be halal that isn't halal.

Why would you worry about that? Muslims are obviously relaxed about eating it.

What makes you think that it worries me? The animals we kill for meat suffer significantly less than the animals a lion kill to eat and that also doesn't worry me, its just the way it is, I'm sure right now that are millions of animals that are suffering much worse than a cow having its throat cut in the abattoir.

If your post above is how it should be done then there is plenty of meat which is claimed to be halal that isn't halal.

I agree. This is just one of the reasons why I am vegetarian. I'm not a "bunny hugger":- "Oh we cawn't eat da fwuffy wikkle animawls!" I'm big enough and ugly enough to understand that folk can and do eat meat, and (And fair play to them, whatever the person's individual choice, whether veggie or carnivore)

I don't think it's being too idealistic in my expectations of how the animal that provides my meat should have lived and died.

I do not want to eat the meat of an animal that has not been treated humanely, from its conception and gestation, through its birth and live, right to the very point that it undergoes slaughter.

I don't want to eat meat from animals that have been carted, miles and miles in the back of a lorry, hungry and thirsty, terrified, covered in their own, and their other herdmates' filth, to be manhandled en masse into a room, and killed in front of their herdmates.

I'm not sentimental. I just want the animals to be allowed to exhibit natural behaviours, to have seen the sky more than just once, through the bars of the lorry on the way to the abbatoir. I want them to have felt the grass and grit under their feet.

I don't want the meat I eat to come from animals pumped full of toxins and growth accellerants, under the guise of "medicines".

For me to be assured of that, I would have to supervise the life and death of the animal, and perhaps to even be the one to dispatch the animal. (something I am no longer physically able to do and, correct me if I'm wrong, that is something I don't believe is legal, any more, in this country), so, to take no part in condoning the current inhumanity of slaughter, I chose to eat a vegetarian diet.

I agree. This is just one of the reasons why I am vegetarian. I'm not a "bunny hugger":- "Oh we cawn't eat da fwuffy wikkle animawls!" I'm big enough and ugly enough to understand that folk can and do eat meat, and (And fair play to them, whatever the person's individual choice, whether veggie or carnivore)

I don't think it's being too idealistic in my expectations of how the animal that provides my meat should have lived and died.

I do not want to eat the meat of an animal that has not been treated humanely, from its conception and gestation, through its birth and live, right to the very point that it undergoes slaughter.

I don't want to eat meat from animals that have been carted, miles and miles in the back of a lorry, hungry and thirsty, terrified, covered in their own, and their other herdmates' filth, to be manhandled en masse into a room, and killed in front of their herdmates.

I'm not sentimental. I just want the animals to be allowed to exhibit natural behaviours, to have seen the sky more than just once, through the bars of the lorry on the way to the abbatoir. I want them to have felt the grass and grit under their feet.

I don't want the meat I eat to come from animals pumped full of toxins and growth accellerants, under the guise of "medicines".

For me to be assured of that, I would have to supervise the life and death of the animal, and perhaps to even be the one to dispatch the animal. (something I am no longer physically able to do and, correct me if I'm wrong, that is something I don't believe is legal, any more, in this country), so, to take no part in condoning the current inhumanity of slaughter, I chose to eat a vegetarian diet.

They are all reasonable reasons for not wanting to eat meat, I know a few people that would give the same reasons for being vegetarians, and I know some that will only eat the animals that they have cared for and then killed. As far as I know you can still kill your own livestock for your own consumption as long as you are capable of doing it without inflicting unnecessary suffering.

They are all reasonable reasons for not wanting to eat meat, I know a few people that would give the same reasons for being vegetarians, and I know some that will only eat the animals that they have cared for and then killed. As far as I know you can still kill your own livestock for your own consumption as long as you are capable of doing it without inflicting unnecessary suffering.

This is why I'm often on the side of hunters (despite never doing it or wanting to do it) - if done right it's the ultimate free range meat.

Archived