Denmark bans religious slaughter

WeX

Great news. None pre-stunned religious slaughter is banned in Denmark. Hopefully the rest of Europe should follow suit.

The UK should do the same here. None stunned Halal and Kosher causes unnecessary suffering to animals

http://www.secularism.org.uk/news/2014/02/denmark-bans-religious-slaughter

:banana::clap::clap::headbang::clap::clap::banana::smile:

Well done Denmark - a country whose people enjoy closer relationships with animals than the rest of Europe! But seriously, this is very good news, and I do hope that we do the same over here - ban religious slaughter, that is. No religion should be allowed to cause suffering to an animal. No god is that important.

---------- Post added 22-03-2014 at 23:23 ----------

The laws in Islam regarding halal slaughter decree that the animal be taken away out of sight of its herdmates to be slaughtered. It must not be slaughtered in front of its companions, in order that neither it, nor the herdmates are alarmed or distressed.

The animal must be spoken to gently, and handled as gently as possible, not beaten nor manhandled, as far as is practical. It also decrees the size and the sharpness of the knife to be used. (the knife has to be honed razor sharp, so the animal feels practically nothing of the cut - which is another means of avoiding distress to the animal)

It must be one, swift clean cut, in one movement from left to right, severing the two main blood vessels on each side of the neck (the carotid and jugular veins resulting in instantaneous unconsciousness. In Kosher, there can be no snags (burrs) on the cutting edge of the blade, otherwise the meat cannot be classified as Kosher.

Up to the point of slaughter, the animal must be fed and watered, and mustn't be carted for long distances to be slaughtered.

I does not result in 'instantaneous unconsciousness' and is not without severe pain, panic and distress. That is delusional.

Agree with all of that 7Rivers and I'd extend the labelling further to include the method of slaughter as well.

Am I going to get a text book with my burger at McDonalds?

I'm not convinced religious slaughter is really any more cruel than modern slaughter, it's designed to be fast & to avoid distressing the animal. I'm not sure why I should care that much either.

If the exact method of slaughter is that important to you on welfare grounds, then why aren't you a vegetarian?

Back to Denmark & secularism, doesn't secular mean the state shouldn't interfere with religion?

Am I going to get a text book with my burger at McDonalds?

I'm not convinced religious slaughter is really any more cruel than modern slaughter, it's designed to be fast & to avoid distressing the animal. I'm not sure why I should care that much either.

If the exact method of slaughter is that important to you on welfare grounds, then why aren't you a vegetarian?

Back to Denmark & secularism, doesn't secular mean the state shouldn't interfere with religion?

The state should ‘interfere’ with cruelty to animals, religious or not..

:banana::clap::clap::headbang::clap::clap::banana::smile:

Well done Denmark - a country whose people enjoy closer relationships with animals than the rest of Europe! But seriously, this is very good news, and I do hope that we do the same over here - ban religious slaughter, that is. No religion should be allowed to cause suffering to an animal. No god is that important.

---------- Post added 22-03-2014 at 23:23 ----------

I does not result in 'instantaneous unconsciousness' and is not without severe pain, panic and distress. That is delusional.

I would hope that you don't!

The state should ‘interfere’ with cruelty to animals, religious or not..

It's not clear that it's really that cruel. I'm against religions being exempt from the law, but that's down to silly EU regulations requiring stunning & then having that exemption. Better EU laws should be made that respect both animal welfare and religious (and non-religious) freedom.

Well done Denmark - a country whose people enjoy closer relationships with animals than the rest of Europe!.

You can say that again.

Laws in both Denmark and Norway are fairly open when it comes to a person’s legal right to engage in sexual activity with an animal

Norway is currently reviewing its Animal Protection Act and several groups, including the Norwegian Animal Welfare Alliance, have proposed making amendments which forbid sexual intercourse with animals.

“The acts provoke moral disgust. The question is whether immorality should be made illegal. The FSA group discussing the new animal protection act has been in disagreement about this,” Knaevelsrud said.

http://www.icenews.is/2008/05/20/animal-brothels-legal-in-denmark/

Is that what happens when you're a secular country--anything goes??

What about the animals rights here:|

Denmark's ban on ritual slaughter has nothing to do with animal rights, but about suppressing religious freedoms. We learnt from the giraffe and dolphin killings the Danes for the most part do not care about animal rights.

It's not clear that it's really that cruel. I'm against religions being exempt from the law, but that's down to silly EU regulations requiring stunning & then having that exemption. Better EU laws should be made that respect both animal welfare and religious (and non-religious) freedom.

It looks pretty gruesome to me.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LAQJ-FZo1cA

Religious superstition should not come above animal rights.

If we want laws that respect religious freedom then they should be designed without seeking to accommodate religious beliefs.

People forget that the flip side to the right to choose and practice religion is the right to be free from religion. Accommodating religious beliefs (instead of simply accepting valid arguments from the religious) means we impose religion doctrine on the people wanting freedom from religion. Making religious accommodations is an abuse of religious freedom and there is nothing respectful about that.

To respect religious freedom we simply need to establish which slaughter techniques cause undue suffering and which do not.

It looks pretty gruesome to me.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LAQJ-FZo1cA

Religious superstition should not come above animal rights.

Why don't we use gas stunning then if 'animal rights' was the primary concern.

Have a look at youtube clips of captive bolt stunning, that looks pretty gruesome too.

Why don't we use gas stunning then if 'animal rights' was the primary concern.

Have a look at youtube clips of captive bolt stunning, that looks pretty gruesome too.

I didn't say it wasn't.

What type of gas do you recommend?

Archived