Herries School

Miss Cox was head of the Junior school but I can't remember the head of senior- We moved and I finished my schooling at Shiregreen. Shirecliffe must have been built late 30's because it was a fairly modern school for those days.

nanrobbo, I have to agree with you yet again, Shirecliffe was well ahead of it's time, I moved from Crookes school with it's bitumen playground & not much else to Shirecliffe, where I did the last 3 years of my schooling.

I was amazed to find that it had it's own gym, woodwork & metalwork rooms, etc etc,not to mention the big playing fields, at Crookes we had to go to other schools in the area to use their facilities.

Things aint wot they use to be, but it looked the same when I went back for a wander in 1992.

• 2 years later...
I Went to Herries from 1976 - 1981

Does anyone remember the Air Dome with it's air lock quite funny when it went down, cutting edge really if the vandals would have let it be...............

I went to Herries 84-88. I remember the air dome. You all had to squash in while the outside door was closed and the the inner door was opened. It was bigger inside than it looked from the outside. It was covered in grey tape where it had been slashed! Shame it had to go, but times change, as has the school itself. Great times when I was there.

• 3 weeks later...
I Went to Herries from 1976 - 1981

Does anyone remember the Air Dome with it's air lock quite funny when it went down, cutting edge really if the vandals would have let it be...............

Yeah I remember the air dome, i went to herries 1992 - 96, the air dome is no longer there,, its brick now and a sports hall.. the whole school has channged

• 3 weeks later...
hi i went to shireclffe school from 1950 to 1961 the headmaster was mr siddall and then mr robinson pe was mr valantine and the two mr thomases stick in my mind the dates i have mentioned took me through the nursery infants juniors and seniors
thats a long time since MR.L.whats up wi our forum.:hihi: