Unemployment down, inflation down..

I know another person after 15 years at same place, gone... reductions. He will start doing something like supply teaching now.

More work is given to less people to save money and many tasks are rescheduled to use less manpower.

Less people will be needed to work in the oncoming technological future or everybody will start to work less hours and shares this work equally.

The old need for human labour has permanently gone in the western cultures and will not come back as long as china, sri lanka does it for a pound per day.

Politicians speaking about employment is like drunkards discussing UFO in fairy tales.

anecdotal evidence backs up primary and secondary evidence. It is not proof of anything on its own. This is why I ask for real evidence to back up your claims. A link to a news report or a charity group report on the matter is good enough for most people. Can you provide one?

Sorry Wex, I don't know how to do links, (I really must get my lad to show me,) but there are plenty of reports on line, and some official organisation of statistics has put the figure at over 800,000 people sanctioned since September I believe. It's a figure that's also been on news reports.

I'll try and find the information again and post the link the hard way. (or you could simply put it into Google)

In my opinion, sanctions of this magnitude is what has made 'the number of people claiming benefits' go down, not because they've found jobs.

It's another way of manipulating figures, no better than putting unemployed people on incapacity benefits by Labour.

Sorry Wex, I don't know how to do links, (I really must get my lad to show me,) but there are plenty of reports on line, and some official organisation of statistics has put the figure at over 800,000 people sanctioned since September I believe. It's a figure that's also been on news reports.

I'll try and find the information again and post the link the hard way. (or you could simply put it into Google)

In my opinion, sanctions of this magnitude is what has made 'the number of people claiming benefits' go down, not because they've found jobs.

It's another way of manipulating figures, no better than putting unemployed people on incapacity benefits by Labour.

Genuine question Anna..how do you explain the record number of people in employment..?

Genuine question Anna..how do you explain the record number of people in employment..?

whilst not necessarily explaining it all, population growth will account towards it - both internal (more people of working age) and external (immigration)

but going back to one of the original points of the thread - more people in work is a good thing for them and the country as a whole

(edit - sorry, i realise that was addressed to anna)

Yes, an interesting point.

Personally I think part time jobs and older people working past retirement age have a lot to do with it. And counting in all the people in 'non jobs' (like commission only) that continue to roll over and '0 hours' jobs in which people are 'employed' but never get any work or pay. I think this also skews the 'job vacancy' figures.

I don't know what the productivity figures are, but if more people are actively employed, shouldn't these have gone up too? Do you have any figures for this?

It's all in the phrasing - 'A drop in the number of people claiming benefit' for example, is not the same as the a drop in the number of unemployed. I don't really trust the figures, they are so easily manipulated. I tend to go on things I see around me and talking to people.

I have noticed a couple of active building sites (houses) though in my area, which seems to be a move in the right direction.

I don't know what the productivity figures are, but if more people are actively employed, shouldn't these have gone up too? Do you have any figures for this?

as the number of those in employment is increasing at a rate greater than that of production, productivity is falling

see attached from the financial times

http://www.ft.com/cms/s/0/adc4e3f6-880e-11e3-8afa-00144feab7de.html

sorry, that link appears to take you to their front page

this is a bit of what the article says

"The problem is that the trend the Bank of England, the Treasury and economists want to see most – an end to productivity stagnation – appears to be absent.

In the latest labour market figures, for the slightly different September to November period, total hours worked grew 1.1 per cent, indicating that output per hour worked fell again in the final quarter."

and

"In a speech last week, Mr Carney said: “Given the continued openness of the economy and the credibility of macro policy, it is hard to think of any reason why there should have been a persistent deterioration the UK’s productivity performance.”

It is all nonsense. The most fiddled stats to ever exist. Not included on there are people on the work program, and people POST WP shoved onto other courses.

Yeah that was covered early on. I seem to remember yesterday the government was developing some kind of action to find work for younger people. So I wonder what that will be since people e.g. the unemployed are forced into work? You can't just magic jobs out of thin air as governments seem to think. So if you start giving work to the young, do the elderly lose out? Bare in mind the retirement age has increased also.

Archived