TUPE transfer help

MOZZ

Hello

A long shot, but does anyone know the legallity of the following situation;

I am about to be TUPE transferred, in my current contract i can carry over upto 5 days holiday entitlement. I am told by my current employer that i must use up all of my holidays before the TUPE transfer.

Is this legal?

I've been involved with several TUPE transfers, both small and large scale and the transfer both in and out of employees.

Provided that the rollover of those 5 days is set out in your employment or you can prove that it's a general working principle (ie it's been regular practice, say over 3 years plus) then you will be able to do so under "custom and practice". The new employer cannot automatically change any of your terms and conditions (or custom and practice) unless you agree to do so on a whole contract change basis which means you're not able to cherry pick the most favorable terms from old and new contracts.

Feel free to PM if you have any other queries.

• 3 weeks later...

Can you explain a little more - when you say not in employment do you mean that you havent been working for them or are you referring to maternity leave, secondment, zero hours or anything else? If NO employment arrangement is in place then TUPE would not apply.

Thank you Elphi 24, my relative is currently in employment but has only been with them for three months. They are about to TUPE across to another company who are saying they do not have to honour his contract as he hasn't been with his employers for twelve months or more.

The new employer HAS to take over the contracts of ALL employees who were employed immediately before the transfer.

The new employer and the existing employer can't dismiss an employee because of the transfer and is classed as automatically unfair. They can (and often do) dismiss due to "economic, technical or organisation" reasons and they class this as a redundancy but the onus is on the employers to demonstrate this.

What doesn't work in your cousins' favour is the short length of time and employers can get rid under a number of guises. I'd be recommending that you get something in writing about them not transferring him/her due to length of contract.

Archived