£300,000 a WEEK. An insult to the working man?

Most people can kick a ball around, some are even quite good at it, but not many have the skills of the very best. You could also train some people to be nurses (I disagree with all) but the quality of nursing would vary from the best highly skilled and compassionate, to the ones that won't wash a patient because they think they are too highly qualified. However, none of that is really the issue. The issue is the sheer level of pay, and very few can ever aspire to that sort of income.

Of course there are a few bankers who make loads of money for their financial institution who don't have salaries to match Rooney, but they get bonuses based on their achievements in terms of profit. We're always hearing how immoral their payments are - so what's the difference?

I think the difference is that some people view bankers as being the people who caused the recent recession and to see them get large salaries and bonuses is rubbing salt in the wounds..? Even though thousands of bankers lost their jobs they are still viewed as "untouchable"..

I think the difference is that some people view bankers as being the people who caused the recent recession and to see them get large salaries and bonuses is rubbing salt in the wounds..? Even though thousands of bankers lost their jobs they are still viewed as "untouchable"..

Tend to agree with that I was astonished to read a report the other day which stated that 5,800 bankers had been sacked since 2008.

None have been charged with anything though, and some if not all must be culpable for what happened.

The impression given is that the top dogs get to keep their jobs and bonus whilst those lower down get scapegoated.

Not a good analogy with footballers though. Footballers work in public and we can see whether or not their performances justify the remuneration.

And one bad tackle, and their career is over.

Also we can choose to ignore them and contribute nothing to their salary.

Bankers on the other hand are unavoidable and were supposed to have integrity and a responsibility for their clients money.

I can recall when you practically had to prove you didn't need any money before they'd lend you some.

Overnight they apparently decided to turn into a bunch of Mississippi gamblers with money that wasn't theirs and between them ruin the economy.

Footballers are insignificant by comparison, their contribution is to the non important amusement part of life.

Whilst being of the opinion that Rooney's salary is ludicrous I don't resent it, it's down to his good fortune and doesn't effect me in any way.

Bankers actions on the other hand have effected all of us.

Tend to agree with that I was astonished to read a report the other day which stated that 5,800 bankers had been sacked since 2008.

None have been charged with anything though, and some if not all must be culpable for what happened.

The impression given is that the top dogs get to keep their jobs and bonus whilst those lower down get scapegoated.

Not a good analogy with footballers though. Footballers work in public and we can see whether or not their performances justify the remuneration.

And one bad tackle, and their career is over.

Also we can choose to ignore them and contribute nothing to their salary.

Bankers on the other hand are unavoidable and were supposed to have integrity and a responsibility for their clients money.

I can recall when you practically had to prove you didn't need any money before they'd lend you some.

Overnight they apparently decided to turn into a bunch of Mississippi gamblers with money that wasn't theirs and between them ruin the economy.

Footballers are insignificant by comparison, their contribution is to the non important amusement part of life.

Whilst being of the opinion that Rooney's salary is ludicrous I don't resent it, it's down to his good fortune and doesn't effect me in any way.

Bankers actions on the other hand have effected all of us.

Of course footballers salaries affect you. Most of it derives from TV rights and sponsorship and just adds to the top line on product price. So there is no way you can avoid contributing to footballers salaries unless you don't watch TV, buy clothes, eat food, or use a bank/flights/cars...etc etc.

When the government pay footballers wages then you have a point. If all the footballers weren't paid the vast sums of money them the economy would be in a far far worse state. People who compare footballers and sports stars to the working man are fools.

Wayne Rooney is to receive £300,000 a Week, that ammounts to £17 million a year. That's before endorsements, advertising revenue, TV interviews etc.

I think this is an insult to the ordinary working man, lucky if he gets £30,000 a year.

Football used to be the sport of the working man, but is now priced outside their means in many cases.

Before we hear about Rooney's 'great talent,' can I remind people he kicks a ball up and down a field. There are many who do far more worthwhile work who earn a tiny fraction of this, soldiers who risk their lives for their country for example.

I think this is worthy of a wider general discussion than it might get hidden away in Sports. The widening gap between rich and poor affects us all.

Apart from from the fact that I think Wayne Rooney is WAY over rated. I don't begrudge his wages. In fact, I feel sorry for him that it's been made so public.

Why is it always footballers that get the bad press for their salary?

Bill Gates earns over £100 a second, compared to Wayne Rooney's 50p a second. They both earn their money doing something that they love.

Same goes for multimillionaires from other walks of like. Rock stars, writers, actors, to name a few.

Good luck to him, he's spent his entire life pursuing a dream and he's probably sacrificed a hell of a lot to get there.

Time to lay the green eyed monster to rest and pursue your own dreams, I think!!

Of course footballers salaries affect you. Most of it derives from TV rights and sponsorship and just adds to the top line on product price. So there is no way you can avoid contributing to footballers salaries unless you don't watch TV, buy clothes, eat food, or use a bank/flights/cars...etc etc.

Are you telling me that if and when Sky lose the Premier league to BT they will reduce their charges to everyone because they no longer have the expense?

Football is simply how they currently spend their money, trust me they'll find something else to spend it on.

I have no interest whatsoever in motor racing but no doubt I contribute in petrol prices etc.

My point however, is that this type of expenditure by the corporates is factored in because they have decided, rightly or wrongly, that 'brand awareness' is vital to their business's.

Therefore ,in reality it's not worth worrying about, they won't be reducing their charges in any event, so we're not paying extra, they would just charge the same and make more profit without that cost.

Basically we can't win. :(

Wayne Rooney is to receive £300,000 a Week, that ammounts to £17 million a year. That's before endorsements, advertising revenue, TV interviews etc.

I think this is an insult to the ordinary working man, lucky if he gets £30,000 a year.

Football used to be the sport of the working man, but is now priced outside their means in many cases.

Before we hear about Rooney's 'great talent,' can I remind people he kicks a ball up and down a field. There are many who do far more worthwhile work who earn a tiny fraction of this, soldiers who risk their lives for their country for example.

I think this is worthy of a wider general discussion than it might get hidden away in Sports. The widening gap between rich and poor affects us all.

He is an ordinary working man :confused:

Hardly. How many people do you know that earn a fraction of that?

Do you mean he's 'working class?'

I know one or two. And I know one thing, they have worked incredibly hard to get where they are today. Just like Mr Rooney has. Don't be jealous of his high income.

Archived