£300,000 a WEEK. An insult to the working man?

Oh yes he's worth every penny (my arse), take him to World Cup he's invisible, not scored an away goal in CL since December 2012 oh what a player.

I really do wish people would get real, he's overrated; at best he's not bad, world class do us all a favour, he's a spoilt petulant bald little oik with more money than sense.

But if Man Ure a daft enough to pay him, and fans endorse it more fool them, makes you cringe when you see the wages they get now to what "real footballers" used to get.

Oh yes he's worth every penny (my arse), take him to World Cup he's invisible, not scored an away goal in CL since December 2012 oh what a player.

I really do wish people would get real, he's overrated; at best he's not bad, world class do us all a favour, he's a spoilt petulant bald little oik with more money than sense.

But if Man Ure a daft enough to pay him, and fans endorse it more fool them, makes you cringe when you see the wages they get now to what "real footballers" used to get.

The term "world class" is fairly vague, I have said the same thing about Rooney not being world class before. However, when you think about it, he probably is.

Lets be generous (to your, and formally my, view of him not being world class) and say he is only in the top 25 players in the world. Most world agree that he falls within this bracket.

FIFA statistics show their are 265 million active, registered footballers in the world. When you consider that, surely a top 25 player can be considered world class.

Regardless, his level of skill is not the sole determining factor in his wage value. People love Rooney, children want his name on the back of their shirt, he sells magazines, merchandise and various other things. Generating his company millions upon millions of pounds.

The bean counters at Manchester United (a billion pound company) no more than any of us how much he is worth to them. If he wasn't worth it, his employers wouldn't pay him that much.

Right, that's £0 salary then!

Yes!

That's correct.

---------- Post added 24-02-2014 at 19:11 ----------

The term "world class" is fairly vague, I have said the same thing about Rooney not being world class before. However, when you think about it, he probably is.

Lets be generous (to your, and formally my, view of him not being world class) and say he is only in the top 25 players in the world. Most world agree that he falls within this bracket.

FIFA statistics show their are 265 million active, registered footballers in the world. When you consider that, surely a top 25 player can be considered world class.

Regardless, his level of skill is not the sole determining factor in his wage value. People love Rooney, children want his name on the back of their shirt, he sells magazines, merchandise and various other things. Generating his company millions upon millions of pounds.

The bean counters at Manchester United (a billion pound company) no more than any of us how much he is worth to them. If he wasn't worth it, his employers wouldn't pay him that much.

I wouldn't put Rooney anywhere near the top 25 bracket.

Expenses only.

All sport should be amateur, and for the love of it.

Do you think that will result in free/cheap tickets for level sport? Fans of pre-professional rugby union might offer a different opinion. I'm not saying prices didn't go up post-pro but at least the main protagonists got paid.

Archived