£300,000 a WEEK. An insult to the working man?

Quite. If someone is prepared to pay him that much for his services, he is quite obviously worth it. It just pathetic jealousy from the green eyed here and elsewhere.

Envy keeps popping up on here.

I said I wouldn't turn down that kinda money and I guess nobody else would.

But calling someone like Rooney extraordinarily talented is laughable.

Pele yes!

Best yes!

Cruyff yes!

Messi yes!

---------- Post added 25-02-2014 at 23:31 ----------

If you think a premiership footballers life consists of kicking a football about for 90 minutes a week, you're mistaken.

You might be jealous of the fact that he's getting paid extraordinary amounts of money for something he loves, but that's your problem, not his.

Whether you like Rooney or not, he's a top premiership player, which makes him extraordinarily talented. .......This is coming from a Liverpool fan!!

---------- Post added 25-02-2014 at 23:07 ----------

........Why???

Tom Finney would go to work of a Saturday morning,then knock off for the match. All for £12 a week.

Also people forget, £300,000 a week sounds like a massive amount of money, and it is...but look at it as a yearly salary, about £15 million...doesn't sound as bad really, I mean top actors get paid way more than that and people hardly ever complain about how much they get paid, certainly not as much as they do about footballers anyway.

And an actor knows he can carry on until he's dead, as a footballer you have to account for the fact that you retire at 40, and probably have no real qualifications or skills outside of football.

Tom Finney would go to work of a Saturday morning,then knock off for the match. All for £12 a week.

I admire people like Tom Finney but you have to remember that he performed for around 40,000 each time he played. Rooney plays for millions and often, in the England shirt, for billions.

The number of people watching generates a lot of income and isn't it fair that those who play should get a large share of that ?

I also wonder what the "working man" on Sheffield Forum would have said in 1950 about someone earning a much as £12. People were jealous in those days as well.

I admire people like Tom Finney but you have to remember that he performed for around 40,000 each time he played. Rooney plays for millions and often, in the England shirt, for billions.

The number of people watching generates a lot of income and isn't it fair that those who play should get a large share of that ?

I also wonder what the "working man" on Sheffield Forum would have said in 1950 about someone earning a much as £12. People were jealous in those days as well.

Surely more of the money generated should go back to the fans in the form of cheaper tickets, cheaper kid's kit, investment in the community - funding playing fields or football accademies, something like that?

Surely more of the money generated should go back to the fans in the form of cheaper tickets, cheaper kid's kit, investment in the community - funding playing fields or football accademies, something like that?

Why? - the kids want to be football stars because they see current football stars on huge wages for the very successful. The top footballers should be rewarded well and the businesses that employ them are there to make money. If the government, from the huge amount of tax that these few individuals pay, want to use this money to do that, then perhaps they could ask the public if that is how they would like their tax revenue spent.

Or perhaps they could spend it on better drugs for the ill, or more police to cut crime, or more border enforcers to stop illegal immigration or......... please fill in a blank here

Should the profits from hairdressers be invested into training the next generation of hairdressers? Should the profits plumbers make be invested into training the next lot of plumbers etc.

Or is it only businesses in the Football industry that should be so burdened?

Clubs already spend a great deal of money investing in their youth set ups.

Why? - the kids want to be football stars because they see current football stars on huge wages for the very successful. The top footballers should be rewarded well and the businesses that employ them are there to make money. If the government, from the huge amount of tax that these few individuals pay, want to use this money to do that, then perhaps they could ask the public if that is how they would like their tax revenue spent.

Or perhaps they could spend it on better drugs for the ill, or more police to cut crime, or more border enforcers to stop illegal immigration or......... please fill in a blank here

Let's hope he's paying his tax then, or maybe like some oft quoted people, his cleaner pays more tax than he does.

Let's hope he's paying his tax then, or maybe like some oft quoted people, his cleaner pays more tax than he does.

You're clutching at straws now. Your argument has boiled down to how much tax he's paying?!?!

Get on with your life and stop moaning!

As well as a minimum wage there ought to be a maximum wage. Kicking a bag of wind around shouldn't earn anyone more than about £500 quid a week, tops.

Why? It makes no sense. It only shows jealousy. How does what Wayne Rooney earns affect you, other than to make you jealous?

Archived