£300,000 a WEEK. An insult to the working man?

you sure hes on paye :huh::hihi:

That's how I read it too. I thought professional footballers where self-employed people contracted for work? As I undertand it, most of them have agents to negotiate SLAs with clubs and it's probable they employ a seperate accountant too. The spend it before it's taxed mob.

Wayne Rooney is to receive £300,000 a Week, that ammounts to £17 million a year. That's before endorsements, advertising revenue, TV interviews etc.

I think this is an insult to the ordinary working man, lucky if he gets £30,000 a year.

Football used to be the sport of the working man, but is now priced outside their means in many cases.

Before we hear about Rooney's 'great talent,' can I remind people he kicks a ball up and down a field. There are many who do far more worthwhile work who earn a tiny fraction of this, soldiers who risk their lives for their country for example.

I think this is worthy of a wider general discussion than it might get hidden away in Sports. The widening gap between rich and poor affects us all.

Jealousy is such an ugly trait.

Its the way he goes about it that bugs me all that threatening to leave stuff pure greed.

Greed is only half of it, the other half is that he probably considers himself to be bigger than the club or anyone else for that matter.

That's how I read it too. I thought professional footballers where self-employed people contracted for work? As I undertand it, most of them have agents to negotiate SLAs with clubs and it's probable they employ a seperate accountant too. The spend it before it's taxed mob.

You are wrong, they are employed by their club. Wayne Rooney only takes home £160,000 per week of his £300,000 pay.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/26246939

He pays more in tax per week then I will in 20 years!

Loopholes like you mentioned above in which the bulk of footballers salaries were paid (in a very few instances) to offshore companies for merchandising deals and the like were closed a few years ago. There is a percentage of a footballers income that has to come from direct pay, either in the form of salary or bonus (something like 90%).

You are wrong, they are employed by their club. Wayne Rooney only takes home £160,000 per week of his £300,000 pay.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/26246939

He pays more in tax per week then I will in 20 years!

Loopholes like you mentioned above in which the bulk of footballers salaries were paid (in a very few instances) to offshore companies for merchandising deals and the like were closed a few years ago. There is a percentage of a footballers income that has to come from direct pay, either in the form of salary or bonus (something like 90%).

Eh? How am I wrong?

Eh? How am I wrong?

Because you said they are self-employed. They are not. They are employed by their club. You were also wrong when you said he spends it before it's taxed. If he can do this, then it will be in a lawful way such as share save schemes.

He will probably employ an accountant to get him the best deals, but he won't do anything illegal (the PR damage to Man United will be immense). He pays PAYE like the rest of us.

The players wages from their clubs are PAYE, they are employees of an employer. If you don't believe me google it. It's also worth looking at the plight of Glasgow Rangers when they thought that they hit on a scheme which would mean that they could avoid paying PAYE saving the club tens of millions.

The players image rights are usually organised as a separate business, and as such a full range of tax avoidance techniques are probably utilised, but it's worth remembering that it's very rare that a player receives the full income from their image rights because the clubs will demand their percentage.

In Europe the wage figure that is usually negotiated between the top players is usually the figure after tax. So Ronaldo's income at Real Madrid of £280k a week, would in effect be over £600k a week.

Wayne Rooney is to receive £300,000 a Week, that ammounts to £17 million a year. That's before endorsements, advertising revenue, TV interviews etc.

I think this is an insult to the ordinary working man, lucky if he gets £30,000 a year.

Football used to be the sport of the working man, but is now priced outside their means in many cases.

Before we hear about Rooney's 'great talent,' can I remind people he kicks a ball up and down a field. There are many who do far more worthwhile work who earn a tiny fraction of this, soldiers who risk their lives for their country for example.

I think this is worthy of a wider general discussion than it might get hidden away in Sports. The widening gap between rich and poor affects us all.

It's the working man that must want him to have it, why else would they pay to watch him play football?

Archived