£300,000 a WEEK. An insult to the working man?

[/b]

Why argue his cause then if you don't?

They say that footballers are paid so much, as their careers could be over with just one bad tackle.

I could retire on just one of his weeks wages, so surely the amounts are obscene and what with the season ticket prices and shirt prices, its show that the family game has turned into Prada on the Pitch.

I too find it disgusting, and would never earn such an amount working in the NHS. I dont want praise for my job, but a bit extra cash wouldnt go a miss. Totally with you on this stan.

[/b]

Why argue his cause then if you don't?

I'm not, I'm supporting the rights of the people that pay to watch him play football, the supporters want to spend their hard earned dosh watching him and 21 other players kick a ball round, the people that support Manchester United pay his wage and if they didn't think he was worth it, they wouldn't give the club their money. If he was paid out of taxation I would have something to complain about, because then I would be contributing to his wage.

You are wrong, they are employed by their club. Wayne Rooney only takes home £160,000 per week of his £300,000 pay.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/26246939

He pays more in tax per week then I will in 20 years!

Loopholes like you mentioned above in which the bulk of footballers salaries were paid (in a very few instances) to offshore companies for merchandising deals and the like were closed a few years ago. There is a percentage of a footballers income that has to come from direct pay, either in the form of salary or bonus (something like 90%).

The poor man, how on earth will he survive earning that much a week when most people won't get that in ten years.

They say that footballers are paid so much, as their careers could be over with just one bad tackle.

I could retire on just one of his weeks wages, so surely the amounts are obscene and what with the season ticket prices and shirt prices, its show that the family game has turned into Prada on the Pitch.

I too find it disgusting, and would never earn such an amount working in the NHS. I dont want praise for my job, but a bit extra cash wouldnt go a miss. Totally with you on this stan.

Thank's gimp27, there's a thread on the forum that puts the Rooney thing into perspective.

http://www.sheffieldforum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1280761

It's just an OBSCENE amount. :shakes:

Why is it??

You are clearly not getting it. He is paid what his value is worth.

Think of him as a massive piece of asset to the club. HE has the skills, personality, sellable value and attraction which bring in millions and millions for the club.

If they did not pay him such amount, someone else would and he would move to another club.

That's how life works. We all work for one thing... Money. There is nothing moral about it. If company A offers one amount then company B is offering double for the same job and same terms who would really say "oooh no you are offering too much"

Its simple. If you have something that everyone wants your value goes up and you can demand xxx amount.

Its the same for top lawyers, actors, surgeons, businessmen and trades. You make yourself an asset. You make yourself hot property. You make yourself in demand. You attract the big monies.

I would almost understand the negativity if Rooney was a privileged child born into a football dynasty and playing for a club owned by his billionaire daddy but he clearly was not.

He if anything should be a hero of the working classes setting an example to us all that no matter what your background, if you work hard enough its just possible to make it good.

In a smaller scale think about some of our ordinary background entertainers eg: Jane McDonald, Paul O'Grady or John Bishop. They too worked hard and left their working class routes gaining multi-million pound television and tour contracts with thousands of people flocking to see them each year. Should they be smeared across the media and forums for their obscene salaries.

I too think there is a cloud of jelousy from some people on this thread.

Why is it??

You are clearly not getting it. He is paid what his value is worth.

Think of him as a massive piece of asset to the club. HE has the skills, personality, sellable value and attraction which bring in millions and millions for the club.

If they did not pay him such amount, someone else would and he would move to another club.

That's how life works. If you have something that everyone wants your value goes up and you can demand xxx amount.

Its the same for top laywers, actors, surgeons, businessmen and trades. You make yourself an asset. You make yourself hot property. You make yourself in demand. You attract the big monies.

I would almost understand the negativity if Rooney was a privileged child born into a football dynasty and playing for a club owned by his billionaire daddy but he clearly was not.

He if anything should be a hero of the working classes setting an example to us all that no matter what your background, if you work hard enough its just possible to make it good.

In a small scale think about some of our ordinary background entertainers ala Jane McDonald, Paul O'Grady or John Bishop. They too worked hard and left their working class routes gaining multi-million pound television and tour contracts.

I too think there is a cloud of jelousy from some people on this thread.

That old chestnut pops up again.

Archived