£300,000 a WEEK. An insult to the working man?

Another thing one must consider Anna is the concept of relativity. I do not know how much you are on so I shall use myself as an example.

I earn between roughly 25k a year. I work in a job that is moderately skilled, 37.5 hours a week and has numerous perks that probably add up to not far short of 30k a year. I earn slightly over the UK average.

Someone in India who earns a dollar a day picking fruit or sorting rubbish or working in a sweatshop making the electronics I take for granted will look at my salary in the same way you look at Rooney's.

Am I worth what I am paid? The Indian will almost definitely say no. Relative to people who do my job in this country, to the level I do my job, I am worth the money.

You may earn more or you may earn less, but I imagine there is not much in it. We will live relatively similar lifestyles. Are you worth whatever money you are on?

SF is slipping - 4 pages until sky is mentioned. Last tour aside, sky money has helped the ecb quite a bit - I guess it's the same for other sports.

I don't actually blame Sky. Whilst it's true that it's their money which has caused the situation of greed being the main problem.It wasn't Sky that decided how the money should be distributed.

Unless Sky had it written in the agreement that the Premier league should try and keep hold of every £ that they received, and distribute as little as possible down the leagues to benefit the game in general, I don't see how Sky can be held responsible.

As far as I'm aware, they didn't instruct the Premier league or the clubs to use the money to buy as many foreign players as possible, pay ludicrous amounts to players and agents, and cave in to every stupid kick off time demanded of them by Sky.

They could have negotiated for a better deal and retained more control. Obviously, that would have meant slightly less money, but a more reasonable deal with regard to the requirements of the game.

They chose the money. People like Scudamore and his cohorts are to blame in my opinion.

Had they been less greedy, and more aware of their responsibilities as far as the traditions of the game and the affection in which it's held in this country then things could have been so much better.

As it is greed won out, human weakness at it's most basic. :(

Why are you comparing him to an ordinary working man, is it his working class background? If he was a F1 star (some of whom earn more money) would there the same level of derision?

Well there are only perhaps a dozen F1 drivers on any wages at all, and very few of them are living in the UK or hold UK citizenship, and as they only spend 1 weekend a year actually working in the UK I doubt they would/should pay much tax here either.

Footballers nowadays are no more talented than players from 40-50 years ago.

It's tv subscriptions to sport channels that's sent wages sky high. Football clubs like Man Utd see turnstyle takings as chicken feed.It doesn't even cover the players wages.

No, but what I'm saying you can't train practically anybody to be a world class footballer, but you can train anybody who is of normal mental capacity to be a nurse...that's the difference.

So, when somebody inevitably says you could employ x amount of nurses for x sum...it's meaningless.

Well there are only perhaps a dozen F1 drivers on any wages at all, and very few of them are living in the UK or hold UK citizenship, and as they only spend 1 weekend a year actually working in the UK I doubt they would/should pay much tax here either.

I thought that quite a lot of the teams were based here in the UK, so although they don't live here in the UK they would spend some time working here in the UK developing the car. Even the Mercedes Benz and Red Bull teams are based in the UK.

This is besides the point though, my point was that there isn't anywhere near the same out cry over Lewis Hamilton's pay packet.

I thought that quite a lot of the teams were based here in the UK, so although they don't live here in the UK they would spend some time working here in the UK developing the car. Even the Mercedes Benz and Red Bull teams are based in the UK.

This is besides the point though, my point was that there isn't anywhere near the same out cry over Lewis Hamilton's pay packet.

The teams might well be based here but that is only to build cars. I'm sure the folk who work at the factory pay tax here. But my car was built in Germany so do you think I should pay my taxes there?

The cars are tested at circuits around the world. They are also raced around the world, only once in the UK. Lewis Hamilton, who drives a Mercedes F1 car, much of which is made in Germany and assembled in the UK. He lives in Monaco and has a home in the USA. 4 months of the year they don't race and he tosses it off on holiday. So he doesn't need to spend more than a few weeks in the UK in any one year. There are many foreign tourists who spend longer on British soil than he does. So I can't see any earthly reason why he should pay tax here.

No, but what I'm saying you can't train practically anybody to be a world class footballer, but you can train anybody who is of normal mental capacity to be a nurse...that's the difference.

So, when somebody inevitably says you could employ x amount of nurses for x sum...it's meaningless.

Most people can kick a ball around, some are even quite good at it, but not many have the skills of the very best. You could also train some people to be nurses (I disagree with all) but the quality of nursing would vary from the best highly skilled and compassionate, to the ones that won't wash a patient because they think they are too highly qualified. However, none of that is really the issue. The issue is the sheer level of pay, and very few can ever aspire to that sort of income.

Of course there are a few bankers who make loads of money for their financial institution who don't have salaries to match Rooney, but they get bonuses based on their achievements in terms of profit. We're always hearing how immoral their payments are - so what's the difference?

Archived