Psychological impact of knowledge of our own mortality?

Waldo

Subject line says it all again...

Also, of some interest, what (psychological) value is to be had from the knowledge of our ineviatable demise? Every cloud has a silver lining and all that...

Didn't the Frebcihies used to keep skulls on their desks to remind themselves of their own mortality?

---------- Post added 25-02-2014 at 01:26 ----------

I mean Frenchies! As in French people. Damn this typing on an iPad malarkey...

Actually, this is a very interesting question.

We all know we're going to die - we just don't believe it....

As less and less people seem to believe in God or an afterlife these days, (for probably the first time ever in history,) I'm surprised no one has ever done a proper study of the psychological impact of that.

You'd think it would be pretty major. In fact I think it probably is part of the reason we seem to have become so selfish and hedonistic.

And do you have to be religious to believe in an afterlife anyway? Personally I don't think so, and I still believe we go on the something more. I can't imagine what it's like to not believe that.

I'm sure there will be plenty of people to enlighten me.

I think most people think it will never happen to them!, That's for nasty things in life. The truth is ! I Think of a human life as a light bulb! When you switch it of! Its gone! Nothing! If most did not think god was real, they would jump of a bridge... Why work all your life for what? Most people need to believe there is something to make working all your life worth while! a better afterlife... The smart know different!... And party as much as they can! When you die it's a permanent sleep! If we all thought we had a better after life when we pass why are we not all jumping off a bridge right now to be with loved ones? Food for thought!

I think most people think it will never happen to them!, That's for nasty things in life. The truth is ! I Think of a human life as a light bulb! When you switch it of! Its gone! Nothing! If most did not think god was real, they would jump of a bridge... Why work all your life for what? Most people need to believe there is something to make working all your life worth while! a better afterlife... The smart know different!... And party as much as they can! When you die it's a permanent sleep! If we all thought we had a better after life when we pass why are we not all jumping off a bridge right now to be with loved ones? Food for thought!

Because the believers added the equation of hell....commit suicide and end up there instead of with a loved one?

Personally...I agree with the light bulb idea.

As much as it would be nice to be "forever again with the wife" in some afterlife it ain't going to happen.

Because the believers added the equation of hell....commit suicide and end up there instead of with a loved one?

Personally...I agree with the light bulb idea.

As much as it would be nice to be "forever again with the wife" in some afterlife it ain't going to happen.

Point well made Allen. Respect!

I don't think it's the fear of dying itself is the reason for our fears. Our fears are dying unnoticed, forgotten. Within a generation or two we are mostly lost to thought. Some on the other hand go down in history and will most likely never be forgotten.

Are you saying that your soul after death is nothing more than a memory for the living to keep bringing up and remind the living of a passed loved one?... So your soul is nothing more than a passed on memory of the living .. keeping that soul alive. or remembered?

Your soul living on is nothing more than family remembering you. ....When one day the kids stop talking about granddad what then?

---------- Post added 25-02-2014 at 02:47 ----------

When people say your soul will live on I read that as your memory will live on. No afterlife! Read soul as Memory to the living!

Are you saying that your soul after death is nothing more than a memory for the living to keep bringing up and remind the living of a passed loved one?... So your soul is nothing more than a passed on memory of the living .. keeping that soul alive. or remembered?

Your soul living on is nothing more than family remembering you. ....When one day the kids stop talking about granddad what then?

I don't believe in "souls". I don't even think I mentioned "souls". I mentioned fears as to our own mortality while alive.

Archived