Psychological impact of knowledge of our own mortality?

Waldo

I don't think it's the fear of dying itself is the reason for our fears. Our fears are dying unnoticed, forgotten. Within a generation or two we are mostly lost to thought. Some on the other hand go down in history and will most likely never be forgotten.

Only a minute number of people are remembered past one or two generations, which is why I think the current cult of 'celebrity' is such a joke.

I could name you half a dozen massive celebrities in their day who most people now will never have heard of.

Rich, famous; all will be forgotten in the end.

I'm acutely aware of my own mortality, particularly since my father died a couple of years ago; I reckon I've got another thirty years or so until death claims me.

Mostly this manifests itself in not thinking too hard about the future and focusing on enjoying life now.

Actually, this is a very interesting question.

We all know we're going to die - we just don't believe it....[/Quote]

Speak for yourself, there's plenty of people fully aware of their own mortality, who fully believe it.

As less and less people seem to believe in God or an afterlife these days, (for probably the first time ever in history,) I'm surprised no one has ever done a proper study of the psychological impact of that.

[/Quote]What makes you think there would be some kind of impact from being without belief in gods or an afterlife?

You'd think it would be pretty major

Why?

In fact I think it probably is part of the reason we seem to have become so selfish and hedonistic.

Care to expand?

And do you have to be religious to believe in an afterlife anyway? Personally I don't think so, and I still believe we go on the something more.

No you don't have to be religious.

Do you know why you believe there's something more?

I can't imagine what it's like to not believe that.

I'm sure there will be plenty of people to enlighten me.

It's good. I think too many people spend too much time worrying about what might happen after death.

I'm more concerned about the psychological impact of belief in our own immortality.

Halibut says about his mortality that it "manifests itself in not thinking too hard about the future and focusing on enjoying life now". I think this is a positive thing.

Anna B says it makes people "selfish and hedonistic". I disagree, enjoying life today is far better when it is shared. Seeing people enjoying themselves makes me happier too.

What's wrong with hedonism anyway? As long as it's done responsibly, as it is for most of us, sex-food-drink-music-sport-dancing-laughter today is far better than some promised afterlife in the future.

Belief in immortality is more damaging imo. It leads to suspicion of people that believe in the wrong type of immortality, worship of suffering, and suicide bombers. Seeing people enjoying themselves seems to make these people unhappier.

I know there is no "God".

I know there is no afterlife.

I have lived 78 years (all but a month); some of what I have done has helped others; some has pleased me; some I wish I had not done.

I'm enjoying living, despite limitations due to aging.

I have not committed rape, robbery or murder because I would feel sorry for the victims. not because the "Recording Angel" is poised behind my shoulder recording my deeds and assessing me for happiness in "Heaven" or torture (by decree of a loving "God") in "Hell".

I consider myself unselfish, and take delight in many simple pleasures - like a tasty lamb chop or moonlight on the bay.

I fear the people hoping for "pie in the sky when we die" would be disappointed, but they won't be there to realise their disappointment.

You'd think it would be pretty major. In fact I think it probably is part of the reason we seem to have become so selfish and hedonistic.

I don’t think religion ever made us less avaricious, look at how rich, powerful and indulgent the clergy have been in the past. Money and the power that comes with it have always appealed to many, including the supposedly pious.

I know there is no "God".

I know there is no afterlife.

I have lived 78 years (all but a month); some of what I have done has helped others; some has pleased me; some I wish I had not done.

I'm enjoying living, despite limitations due to aging.

I have not committed rape, robbery or murder because I would feel sorry for the victims. not because the "Recording Angel" is poised behind my shoulder recording my deeds and assessing me for happiness in "Heaven" or torture (by decree of a loving "God") in "Hell".

I consider myself unselfish, and take delight in many simple pleasures - like a tasty lamb chop or moonlight on the bay.

I fear the people hoping for "pie in the sky when we die" would be disappointed, but they won't be there to realise their disappointment.

Do you really [/b]know there is no God or afterlife?

Is it just what you believe (with good reason) ?

i assume i am going to die

i assume the body i occupy will either be burnt or rot away

i have no idea whether or not there will be anything left waiting to occupy another body

if our mind/thoughts/intelligence are a consequence of electrical impulses in the brain (or whatever) if we switch off the power supply do we cease to exist or do we simply wait to be re-connected?

i'm not very computer literate, but, if i can save data in a cloud which has nothing to do with my computer, is the data currently stored in my brain/dna etc, something which can be stored elsewhere and downloaded into another machine?

i have no idea and suspect i will not find out during my life time

Archived