Psychological impact of knowledge of our own mortality?

Waldo

I'm pushing up hill for sixty I'm lucky to have good health and I think I might have a few more years left yet,I've had a good life and the love of a good family I know I will have to go some day to make way for the next generation,but what upsets me more than my own mortality is the steady loss of my love ones over the years,I think we are like a flower we grow we bloom we wither and die and rot into the soil...

Fear is a natural instinct. Because death is inevitable you seem to think "inevitable" negates fear. Many people if not most fear death..it's just a matter of degree. If your doctor told you you had 40yrs left the degree wouldn't have such a profound effect. On the other hand if he told you you had six months your reaction would I would guess be a little different. I'm surprised you asked me for examples when there are many examples of a fear of death.

I wasn't exactly alluding to the likes of the Kardashians or Beckhams..more Darwin, Armstrong, even maybe The Beatles.

I wonder how many people can name who was prime minister in the first world war (- any pre war British prime minister in fact,) or the scientific achievements of Gallileo, or who Yuri Gaggarin or Helen Sharman was?

I had to smile at salsafan's assertion that older people could teach the younger ones something. Nice as that would be, in my opinion the young regard old people as a different species, (except perhaps their Gran.) Old people are generally not attractive, especially when their health declines, in fact young people seem quite afraid of them - perhaps because, in them, they can see their own future demise.

I wonder how many people can name who was prime minister in the first world war (- any pre war British prime minister in fact,) or the scientific achievements of Gallileo, or who Yuri Gaggarin or Helen Sharman was?

I had to smile at salsafan's assertion that older people could teach the younger ones something. Nice as that would be, in my opinion the young regard old people as a different species, (except perhaps their Gran.) Old people are generally not attractive, especially when their health declines, in fact young people seem quite afraid of them - perhaps because, in them, they can see their own future demise.

It may be that the young avoid their older counterpart simply because they don't want reminding of the inevitable? It's a little sad really because most older people I know, not all, are quite energetic and bright. It could be as simple as lack of common ground though. One of my customers now dead was the first to operate radar on the South coast..a pioneer and totally mesmerising, right up to the day she popped her clogs. I have to admit she was a refreshing change from the generalised stuff I have to listen to from my kids. :hihi:

```````````````````````]

---------- Post added 26-02-2014 at 01:45 ----------

Of course it's science fiction, currently.

1/Like Johncocker said, what would that form be?

---------- Post added 25-02-2014 at 15:11 ----------

2/ Only if you're talking about a collective consciousness.

3/That makes no sense. Sounds like you're just trying to somehow rationalise the existence of a God.

4/Microsoft windows or iOS have no form. What would you call them?[/quote

to answer my own question about form/

1/Pure Consciousness is The Nothing which is Something. That One, as Perfect being .. (as in the verb To Be ) which is Timeless ...manifests Time/Space out of its own self in order to have experiences. So that that which Creates and that which is created are the same one in essence. Thus the statement i am that

2/no I'm saying all consciousness is individual

Nothing can exist OUTSIDE of this All Pervasive Consciousness .. nothing can be added to or taken from THAT One. So.. if you exist then, at your core essence .. you are THAT. It is only a matter of Realizing this most profound Truth..

3/ no I think you misunderstood me roots /when people try and rationalise the existence of god its usually some form of cosmic consciousness

4/that is our mission on this forum , to give techology a morality:hihi:

It may be that the young avoid their older counterpart simply because they don't want reminding of the inevitable? It's a little sad really because most older people I know, not all, are quite energetic and bright. It could be as simple as lack of common ground though. One of my customers now dead was the first to operate radar on the South coast..a pioneer and totally mesmerising, right up to the day she popped her clogs. I have to admit she was a refreshing change from the generalised stuff I have to listen to from my kids. :hihi:

Death used to be very much part of life; inevitable, visable and accepted. Now most people have never seen a dead person.

Time was when a neighbour would 'lay them out' and the deceased would spend a couple of days in the front parlour in an open coffin, and friends and neighbours would come in for a cup of tea or something stronger, and pay their respects. Then the whole street would turn out to doff their cap at the funeral cortege on its way to the church.

Each time it happened (and it was often,) people would be reminded of their own mortality.

Compare that with now: now death is hidden away; never spoken of, almost as if it's something to be ashamed of; a complete mystery that no one ever wants to think about, never mind see...

No wonder we somehow think we're going to be immortal.

Death used to be very much part of life; inevitable, visable and accepted. Now most people have never seen a dead person.

Time was when a neighbour would 'lay them out' and the deceased would spend a couple of days in the front parlour in an open coffin, and friends and neighbours would come in for a cup of tea or something stronger, and pay their respects. Then the whole street would turn out to doff their cap at the funeral cortege on its way to the church.

Each time it happened (and it was often,) people would be reminded of their own mortality.

Compare that with now: now death is hidden away; never spoken of, almost as if it's something to be ashamed of; a complete mystery that no one ever wants to think about, never mind see...

No wonder we somehow think we're going to be immortal.

Gulp! You just took me back a few years.

Same with weddings. Full street onslaught, kids scrapping for coppers thrown by the wedded couple. Everyone in for cake n stuff. No one turned away. Growing as a kid I would say on the whole life was tough (unless you were born with a spoon in your mouth). I honestly believe, although today those hardships have gone, kids have it much tougher now. The streets were as much a family as my parents...sadly that dynamic has gone. Our neighbour we called granny, I remember (French) with no family left, used to struggle with her gas (meter) payments. My father decided to put 2 bob in her meter every so often..I honestly believe that had nothing to do with charity, to him she was just mum. Younger generations would find that hard to contemplate, many older one's will be happy to forget that era. Has materialism/money and vacuous ideals killed the community spirit?

:hihi: Went a bit off topic there. Sorry OP.

Eh ? I love listening to my elders. Actually their lives are so much more interesting than my own, but one thing is also for sure is that, I have learnt so much from those older than I. Sometimes I go home and cried buckets cos they talked of a topic which I know I should be ashamed about. One female manager did have an effect on me as we talked about parenthood. When I went home that night, I cried buckets cos I missed my mother so much. I realised in that moment how much my mother sacrificed for me. I ate humble pie and called her the next day. :P Pretended no arguments ever happened between us of course. ;)

Archived