Drs receptionists and privacy.

Hi guys!

I needed to make an appointment with my doctor yesterday so i rang them up. The receptionist asked me what was wrong with me, i told her i only wanted to discuss it with a doctor to which she told me "i need to know or i cant book an appointment" so i begrudgingly told her what was wrong.

She insisted i need to see a nurse, i told her i need a doctor but again she insisted its a nurse i need to see so i booked in with the nurse, told her my problem and guess what, she said i need to see a doctor so i waited and waited and waited, 50 minutes in total to finally see a doctor. Whislt i was waiting i coulndt help but hear the same receptionist blab about one patients colon, another patients piles and she had a good chuckle at both of them when shed finished on the phone. Obviously privacy means nothing these days

:rant:

I phoned to make an appointment last week as I'm on carbizamole & developed a sore throat & was advised by the consultant that if i get any certain problems (sore throat been one) I'm to stop mads straight away & see a doctor.

I explained over the phone that a doctor & not a nurse had to see me as there could be a problem with my white blood cells & was refused by the receptionist for an app with a doctor as a nurse can treat a sore throat...

So after trying to explain why a doctor has to see me i was still ignored & booked in with a doctor.. So saw the nurse who straight away took me through to see a doctor.

What a waste of a app for someone to see a nurse. :(

I phoned to make an appointment last week as I'm on carbizamole & developed a sore throat & was advised by the consultant that if i get any certain problems (sore throat been one) I'm to stop mads straight away & see a doctor.

I explained over the phone that a doctor & not a nurse had to see me as there could be a problem with my white blood cells & was refused by the receptionist for an app with a doctor as a nurse can treat a sore throat...

So after trying to explain why a doctor has to see me i was still ignored & booked in with a doctor.. So saw the nurse who straight away took me through to see a doctor.

What a waste of a app for someone to see a nurse. :(

I agree 2's Company, we're all sympathetic to the pressure GPs are under but that shouldn't mean they allocate part of their job to a receptionist and you should certainly have access to a doctor if you ask to see one.

I know in some surgeries they have properly trained triage nurses who take such calls, which is fine, but they should identify themselves as such and be sympathetic to the patient. I often get the feeling that receptionists are briefed by doctors about how much financial pressure they're under so take it upon themselves to act as administrators doling out charity from the state coffers.

OK: I suggest a written complaint to the practice manager

Make it factual and not personal and it will more likely be received well and acted Absolutely support this approach. She needs some sort of customer service training on how to be discreet, but still get the information they need. If it had been me and I thought Dr and I disagreed, then id just see the manager.

Archived