Drs receptionists and privacy.

Hi guys!

I needed to make an appointment with my doctor yesterday so i rang them up. The receptionist asked me what was wrong with me, i told her i only wanted to discuss it with a doctor to which she told me "i need to know or i cant book an appointment" so i begrudgingly told her what was wrong.

She insisted i need to see a nurse, i told her i need a doctor but again she insisted its a nurse i need to see so i booked in with the nurse, told her my problem and guess what, she said i need to see a doctor so i waited and waited and waited, 50 minutes in total to finally see a doctor. Whislt i was waiting i coulndt help but hear the same receptionist blab about one patients colon, another patients piles and she had a good chuckle at both of them when shed finished on the phone. Obviously privacy means nothing these days

:rant:

that;s sounds like our doctor;s

they do the same talk about long way round

I agree 2's Company, we're all sympathetic to the pressure GPs are under but that shouldn't mean they allocate part of their job to a receptionist and you should certainly have access to a doctor if you ask to see one.

I know in some surgeries they have properly trained triage nurses who take such calls, which is fine, but they should identify themselves as such and be sympathetic to the patient. I often get the feeling that receptionists are briefed by doctors about how much financial pressure they're under so take it upon themselves to act as administrators doling out charity from the state coffers.

Yes I wouldn't have seen a problem if i had just said i have a sore throat but after explaining my complaint she just seemed to hear "sore throat" & refused me an app for a doctor...

To be honest the doctor wasn't much help either as she medically advised me to go to the Rhh for bloods done straight away & when i asked why she counldn't do the bloods herself which is a 2 minute job she said "oh well we have had a doctor & a nurse call in sick & you have been slotted in between my appointments"

Now if the receptionist had listened to me this wouldn't have been a problem.

I was told by a friend who is a GP that if you ask a receptionist to let you speak to a doctor they cannot refuse. You may have to wait for the doctor to call back later that day.

You can't insist that a doctor sees you, but if you speak to the doctor he/she will make the judgement and not a receptionist who probably has no medical training.

Agree ! Since when have Dr,s receptionists been qualified to diagnose people over the phone.It,s as though they want you to go to A & E or one those walk in surgeries so they can save few pounds.Agree with others,Make a Complaint !!.

Paul.

Receptionists don't diagnose you, they act as a kind of filter to determine whether you genuinely need to see a doctor or a nurse or whether the doctor can simply call you back at your convenience. My sister is a receptionist at a doctors and at her practice she is expressly forbidden to make any judgement about a patient's symptoms. Most doctors simply don't have time to see all the patients who wish to make appointments and in truth many patients don't actually need to see a doctor anyway. For example if you're got a blocked nose and a sore throat it's obvious you have a cold so why would you need a doctors appointment?

I'm blessed with a decent surgery and good health and I count my lucky stars when I read threads like these. Try and beat them at their own game. When asked try saying you need tablets to combat your psychotic rage when talking to admin staff, possibility of a penis reduction... This is possibly worth a thread on its own.

Hi guys!

I needed to make an appointment with my doctor yesterday so i rang them up. The receptionist asked me what was wrong with me, i told her i only wanted to discuss it with a doctor to which she told me "i need to know or i cant book an appointment" so i begrudgingly told her what was wrong.

She insisted i need to see a nurse, i told her i need a doctor but again she insisted its a nurse i need to see so i booked in with the nurse, told her my problem and guess what, she said i need to see a doctor so i waited and waited and waited, 50 minutes in total to finally see a doctor. Whislt i was waiting i coulndt help but hear the same receptionist blab about one patients colon, another patients piles and she had a good chuckle at both of them when shed finished on the phone. Obviously privacy means nothing these days

:rant:

This is how everybody found out that my other half was suffering from exhaustion due to my incredibly energetic and irresistibly passionate love making which she just couldn't say no to.

Archived