Children in cafés and restaurants

Ha! 'Not Angles, but angels' (Pope Gregory).

The difference between my kids and those of the laissez-faire apologists on this thread (are you one of them?) is that if they kicked off noisily when we were out in public (in a shop, cafe, at a wedding or theatre performance), we took them outside so they didn't spoil the occasion for everyone else. That way they learnt that life wasn't all about them. Not a bad lesson, I reckon.

well said:thumbsup:

The difference between my kids and those of the laissez-faire apologists on this thread (are you one of them?) is that if they kicked off noisily when we were out in public (in a shop, cafe, at a wedding or theatre performance), we took them outside so they didn't spoil the occasion for everyone else. That way they learnt that life wasn't all about them. Not a bad lesson, I reckon.

That's what I'd probably do. Kids will be kids and for some no amount of scolding or smacking will improve their behaviour, they've got to learn for themselves. Some learn quicker than others and some never learn at all. But variation is what makes the world go round.

Ha! 'Not Angles, but angels' (Pope Gregory).

Seriously, please point out anything I have said which (heaven forbid) suggests that my kids were angelic when small. They were just normal. They had occasional tantrums, especially when tired or hungry. But we spent a lot of time with them when tiny, and tried to take their needs into account when we went out anywhere where they might have to sit for any length of time (books, crayons, etc). And positive attention does make a big difference in reducing whingeing, tantrums, etc.

How right you are .Unfortunately some parents just sit there and ignore their responsibilities as a parent and every body as to put up with the din.

I try to stay clear of them if I'm reading a book and having a coffee. However I find most adults worse than the children for nagging on. I hate the people who go for a meal and constantly talk about calories and dieting while eating. Sometimes looking around to see if anyone is paying attention.

Used to go to Costa at Broomhill but chucked it after constantly seeing and having to listen to "gangs" of kids with accompanying buggies, destroying their surroundings whilst empty head parents sit and talk s***e.

And the mess they leave behind is unbelievable! They obviously think that the Costa staff are beneath their class group as the parents make absolutely no attempt to clean any of it up.

I'd have distinct seperate areas for adults and adults with kids. Better still, ban the little darlings and their Viz like Modern Parents.

"aliceBB perhaps she should either have brought another adult with her (to mind the baby) or considered staying at home for lunch until the child was toilet trained."

If you don't like kids don't eat in places like McDonalds cheap cafes etc. in the daytime.

Stay at home until you can behave like an adult and understand kids will be kids.

"aliceBB perhaps she should either have brought another adult with her (to mind the baby) or considered staying at home for lunch until the child was toilet trained."

If you don't like kids don't eat in places like McDonalds cheap cafes etc. in the daytime.

Stay at home until you can behave like an adult and understand kids will be kids.

For the nth time...I do not eat in MacDonalds.

Read the thread. Stop trying to find excuses for inadequate parenting.

For the nth time...I do not eat in MacDonalds.

Read the thread. Stop trying to find excuses for inadequate parenting.

I did .... Every time I go in a café (or restaurant during the day), I seem to be plagued by the wailing/grizzling/screaming of toddlers whose parents do not seem remotely interested in them.

Typically, the parents will sit at the table chatting away and enjoying their meal/drink, while the bored toddler sits facing away from them in a buggy. The only strategy the parents seem to have to entertain them is to let them play with a mobile phone; the novelty of that wears off after a while and the grizzling resumes.

Older children are often to be seen glued to their iPads etc., and are generally quiet, but even so it seems a pity that they cannot be included in the sociability of the occasion.

What do you do with your kids in cafés? Do you think it's OK to keep them quiet through the whole meal with electronic games? ...... Maybe you cant point it out to me the parts I don't get?!?

---------- Post added 03-05-2014 at 23:21 ----------

Let me simplify this for you .... What do you think about kids being kids in ANY eating establishment???

I did .... Every time I go in a café (or restaurant during the day), I seem to be plagued by the wailing/grizzling/screaming of toddlers whose parents do not seem remotely interested in them.

Typically, the parents will sit at the table chatting away and enjoying their meal/drink, while the bored toddler sits facing away from them in a buggy. The only strategy the parents seem to have to entertain them is to let them play with a mobile phone; the novelty of that wears off after a while and the grizzling resumes.

Older children are often to be seen glued to their iPads etc., and are generally quiet, but even so it seems a pity that they cannot be included in the sociability of the occasion.

What do you do with your kids in cafés? Do you think it's OK to keep them quiet through the whole meal with electronic games? ...... Maybe you cant point it out to me the parts I don't get?!?

The bit you've quoted is only the introductory post. Try reading the whole thread. However, the part you don't seem to get is that children should not be ignored and allowed to scream//shriek/grizzle/cry/run around/disrupt other people's enjoyment in indoor public spaces such as cafes, restaurants, pubs, etc.

I really don't see how I can make the point any more clearly. Goodnight.

Archived