Children in cafés and restaurants

Ah so maybe we should get something like a dog muzzle for them, or duct tape perhaps. Or lock them up indoors. Or as an adult ! know kids do scream etc.

Are you mad, or just dim? If nothing else, you are wildly overreacting. The only appropriate response on the part of the parent -as lots of people, including me, have made clear - is to remove the child from the place where they are upsetting others, and gently but firmly deal with them outside, then (depending on the age and temperament of the child concerned) consider re-thinking their strategies for eating out with that child.

Got it? Good. Now please give us all a break and apply a virtual muzzle to yourself!

It all boils down to good or bad parenting. Although even the child of the best parent in the world can start with the screaming abdabs for no reason. It`s how the parent deals with them that makes the difference

Absolutely. Most 2 year olds wake up some days determined to have a row with someone before the day's out. The parents who know what they're doing don't let them have that row in public. It's about damage limitation in some situations.

It all boils down to good or bad parenting. Although even the child of the best parent in the world can start with the screaming abdabs for no reason. It`s how the parent deals with them that makes the difference

Spot on .Some on hear just do not get it do they.

---------- Post added 04-05-2014 at 18:09 ----------

Are you mad, or just dim? If nothing else, you are wildly overreacting. The only appropriate response on the part of the parent -as lots of people, including me, have made clear - is to remove the child from the place where they are upsetting others, and gently but firmly deal with them outside, then (depending on the age and temperament of the child concerned) consider re-thinking their strategies for eating out with that child.

Got it? Good. Now please give us all a break and apply a virtual muzzle to yourself!

Could not put it better.Its like platting fog isnt it .

Nope sorry I dont... please elaborate about the punishment depending on age...Slap, smack, whip? etc.?!?! Just one or two examples will do thanks.

---------- Post added 06-05-2014 at 00:12 ----------

Why not go out at night when kids are in bed and enjoy a nice meal?

Have the decency of avoiding Asda , McDonalds and high street cafés in the day time if you don't like kids?!? Got It??? Good.

Nope sorry I dont... please elaborate about the punishment depending on age...Slap, smack, whip? etc.?!?! Just one or two examples will do thanks.

Have the decency of avoiding Asda , McDonalds and high street cafés in the day time if you don't like kids?!? Got It??? Good.

Would not eat in McDonalds,Asda.if you payed me ,to many E numbers.What the lady is saying is if you brought your kids up right the situation would not arise.You do not have to use physical punishment when the child is brought up in an environment of love with rules.An environment where they are given your time when they need it no matter if it might be inconvenient because the tele is on.Where they also know the meaning of no.Sorry to disappoint you but giving them a crack dose not arise in our household.I like to think our kids had a loving up bringing and a childhood full of family fun and laughter but with respect for others .

She didn't say 'punish' she said 'deal with'. So for a younger child who is tired and upset maybe you will take them out of the café and comfort them until they calm down. For an older child who is having a wilful tantrum to be naughty maybe you will have a quiet word with them outside and get them to think about what they are doing.

What you definitely don't do, which is what the OP is trying to get at, is sit there eyes glazed over looking at facebook on your phone while your child runs around screaming and crying and ruining everyone elses day.

Its not just child haters that feel like that!

She didn't say 'punish' she said 'deal with'. So for a younger child who is tired and upset maybe you will take them out of the café and comfort them until they calm down. For an older child who is having a wilful tantrum to be naughty maybe you will have a quiet word with them outside and get them to think about what they are doing.

What you definitely don't do, which is what the OP is trying to get at, is sit there eyes glazed over looking at facebook on your phone while your child runs around screaming and crying and ruining everyone elses day.

Its not just child haters that feel like that!

Well said,its not rocket science

I was in Sainbury's café on Monday and a woman came in with three children, one was put in a high chair, he was banging on the table top with a spoon and kicking the back of the plastic base - I put up with it for ten minutes and then went over, I said to the mother, 'excuse me but do you think you get him to stop the banging' in a soft voice, she said she would try - no further noise

Archived