Children in cafés and restaurants

She didn't say 'punish' she said 'deal with'. So for a younger child who is tired and upset maybe you will take them out of the café and comfort them until they calm down. For an older child who is having a wilful tantrum to be naughty maybe you will have a quiet word with them outside and get them to think about what they are doing.

What you definitely don't do, which is what the OP is trying to get at, is sit there eyes glazed over looking at facebook on your phone while your child runs around screaming and crying and ruining everyone elses day.

Its not just child haters that feel like that!

No the OP said give the kid a Phone or game machine. "What do you do with your kids in cafés? Do you think it's OK to keep them quiet through the whole meal with electronic games? "

I was in Sainbury's café on Monday and a woman came in with three children, one was put in a high chair, he was banging on the table top with a spoon and kicking the back of the plastic base - I put up with it for ten minutes and then went over, I said to the mother, 'excuse me but do you think you get him to stop the banging' in a soft voice, she said she would try - no further noise

I was there too.

My child was behaving in a child-like way, when this woman came over and started moaning.

I smiled and took my child away, because I would never be rude enough to point out the irony of an interfering woman complaining about her personal freedom being interfered with by a baby.

Makes you wonder which of the two protagonisists was the real baby.

When I am out I want quiet... How dare anyone upset my coffee and toasted sandwich, I am the adult shut up and do what I say and shut up! ...I dont think so! Don't like kids being kids? ... Pee Off and eat at another place and grow up!!!

---------- Post added 08-05-2014 at 00:07 ----------

Remember this is the kids looking after you when you are in an old folks home.... Something to think about! LOL

No the OP said give the kid a Phone or game machine. "What do you do with your kids in cafés? Do you think it's OK to keep them quiet through the whole meal with electronic games? "

No, the OP didn't say that at all. Don't twist others' words.

I simply asked the question: Do you think is it OK to keep kids quiet in cafes, etc., with electronic devices?

---------- Post added 08-05-2014 at 00:13 ----------

I was there too.

My child was behaving in a child-like way, when this woman came over and started moaning.

I smiled and took my child away, because I would never be rude enough to point out the irony of an interfering woman complaining about her personal freedom being interfered with by a baby.

Makes you wonder which of the two protagonisists was the real baby.

How saintly of you :)

---------- Post added 08-05-2014 at 00:16 ----------

When I am out I want quiet... How dare anyone upset my coffee and toasted sandwich, I am the adult shut up and do what I say and shut up! ...I dont think so! Don't like kids being kids? ... Pee Off and eat at another place and grow up!!!

---------- Post added 08-05-2014 at 00:07 ----------

Remember this is the kids looking after you when you are in an old folks home.... Something to think about! LOL

You sound like a right miserable, confused git!

Good luck in the real world.

No, the OP didn't say that at all. Don't twist others' words.

I simply asked the question: Do you think is it OK to keep kids quiet in cafes, etc., with electronic devices?

---------- Post added 08-05-2014 at 00:13 ----------

How saintly of you :)

alice that's what I said ..... its the text in between the quotation marks.. " bla bla " Help you?

alice that's what I said ..... its the text in between the quotation marks.. " bla bla " Help you?

No. Spot the difference between:

Your comment: the OP said give the kid a Phone or game machine.

and what I actually wrote:

"What do you do with your kids in cafés? Do you think it's OK to keep them quiet through the whole meal with electronic games? "

No. Spot the difference between:

Your comment: the OP said give the kid a Phone or game machine.

and what I actually wrote:

"What do you do with your kids in cafés? Do you think it's OK to keep them quiet through the whole meal with electronic games? "

alice re- read what I said! I gave you a big clue! >>> " Read my quote!!! To help you more I will do it agin!!! look >>> "

---------- Post added 08-05-2014 at 00:27 ----------

---------- Post added 08-05-2014 at 02:56 ----------

Now at 5,882 and now only three members of your family post agreeing with you.! Time to let it go. Kids have every right to be in a café as you do . Accept it!

Your diarhhoea-like stream of question marks suggests you find this idea incredible, but I assure yoiu that it is perfectly possible - normal, even, for many families. it does however presuppose that the children have been set an example of consideration for others and the rudiments of table manners at home.

Obviously, the younger the child, the less reasonable it is to expect them to behave perfectly in a restaurant or other public space. For, that reason parents should either accept that they'll have to work harder than usual to keep the little ones entertained until the food arrives and whilst eating, or (if they can't be arsed to do that), accept that their kids are not yet ready to be unleashed on society in confined spaces!

Spot on dear. Only trouble is the parents might have to cook which might be a novelty for some.When you think some kids are starting school who are not toilet trained it does make you wonder what type of parents these kids have got.So it might be to much to ask them to be socially trained.Ill just sit back now and wait for the reactions that will come in.Keep it up Alice ,I for one support you 100%.

alice re- read what I said! I gave you a big clue! >>> " Read my quote!!! To help you more I will do it agin!!! look >>> "

---------- Post added 08-05-2014 at 00:27 ----------

---------- Post added 08-05-2014 at 02:56 ----------

Now at 5,882 and now only three members of your family post agreeing with you.! Time to let it go. Kids have every right to be in a café as you do . Accept it!

You're still being obscure, so I'll spell it out as simply as possible.

I did not tell anyone to give their kids electronic games to play with.

I asked the forum whether they thought this was an acceptable way of keeping children amused in a cafe...or not.

Now, if you cannot tell the difference between an instruction and a question, you are probably beyond help.

Also, please quote anything I have said which denies a child the right to be in a cafe. Again, you are reading what you want to read and ignoring the rest. The basic premise is - like it or lump it - that parents of children who are screaming/behaving appallingly in confined public spaces do not have the right to ignore them, but should do something about it (in the short and long term) to prevent it ruining other people's days out/ meals, whatever.

---------- Post added 08-05-2014 at 15:33 ----------

Spot on dear. Only trouble is the parents might have to cook which might be a novelty for some.When you think some kids are starting school who are not toilet trained it does make you wonder what type of parents these kids have got.So it might be to much to ask them to be socially trained.Ill just sit back now and wait for the reactions that will come in.Keep it up Alice ,I for one support you 100%.

Ha! Well said.

how about instead of dumbing them with games you do what my parents did.

they educated us and encouraged us to act politely when out.

Even as a 3/4 year old? Pfft, I bet!!

Archived