Children in cafés and restaurants

It's the toddlers and younger ones who kick the back of the high chairs which send my BP up, one old granny asked 'is that your music?'

I can understand the older children being on ipads, it can be boring for them to sit in cafes

I also have experienced toddlers running around cafes whilst the waitresses are carrying trays of hot drinks

Me and our lass went to Maggie May's café in Hillsborough when our daughter about 4, this will have been in 2006; we'd not been sat down for five minutes before she just randomly sprogged up all over the floor. I felt absolutely terrible.

Me and our lass went to Maggie May's café in Hillsborough when our daughter about 4, this will have been in 2006; we'd not been sat down for five minutes before she just randomly sprogged up all over the floor. I felt absolutely terrible.

But that was something you could not have predicted or controlled. Don't feel bad! My son, aged 3, with no warning whatsoever, had diarrhoea in The Early Learning Centre once and they (the staff) were brilliant. I asked for the wherewithal to clean it up, but they wouldn't hear of it. People will make allowances for children, but not for parents who could organise things better.

But that was something you could not have predicted or controlled. Don't feel bad! My son, aged 3, with no warning whatsoever, had diarrhoea in The Early Learning Centre once and they (the staff) were brilliant. I asked for the wherewithal to clean it up, but they wouldn't hear of it. People will make allowances for children, but not for parents who could organise things better.

No it was our lass that sprogged up on the floor.

Only kidding. :hihi:

I am a mother of a very sociable, lively, dramatic 2 year old girl and firstly- I AGREE WITH EVERYTHING THE POSTER HAS PUT!

My pet hate is when kids of any age are sat staring into a piece of plastic while ignoring everyone else around them.

My second pet hate is parents that choose their own needs over their kids.

We dont frequent eating establishments loads (unlike many coffee and cake addicted mums- how do they afford it??) as 1) its expensive and 2) its boring for a two year old.

But when we do, I make sure I take plenty of little non phone / tablet type things to keep her occupied (bits of snacks, drawing) but mostly I make sure we get in and get out as soon as possible or include her in the talking and if she does start cutting up rough (which is rarely) then we leave. Its not fair to expect others to put up with it im afraid.

Sadly these days a lot of parents are more bothered about their own greed/ desire to stuff their faces and gossip, rather than watch their own kids. In that case- dont take them with you!

I am glad I'm not alone!

I went past McDungballs in the Metro Centre (Newcastle) at the weekend and it was desperate to see. Bored parents on their mobiles, bored kids kicking off, fighting and and throwing chips around. Factor in large quantities of tomato sauce and it could have been a re-enactment of Culodden.

I try to take my kids out to eat once a month, this is on the understanding that they have behaved themselves sufficiently and all the bills are already paid!

The first time I took them out as a single parent I was so worried but they sat properly, asked politely for the food they wanted and entertained themselves and each other (and me) with colouring, wordsearches etc. Sometimes these are supplied by the places we visit, otherwise I usually have something in my bag.

On that first occasion I was quite amazed to see a group of 5 adults sitting around a table eating while their 3 children ran riot throughout the place. If I can sit and have a civil meal with 4 children, the youngest of which is 3, why on earth can't 5 adults control their brood?

And I am one of the parents that believes if you issue a threat, you carry it through. If I tell the kids we will leave unless they behave, we will leave. I can't abide the ones that say 'stop it or...' and then blithely let their children carry on.

Archived