Children in cafés and restaurants

I try to take my kids out to eat once a month, this is on the understanding that they have behaved themselves sufficiently and all the bills are already paid!

The first time I took them out as a single parent I was so worried but they sat properly, asked politely for the food they wanted and entertained themselves and each other (and me) with colouring, wordsearches etc. Sometimes these are supplied by the places we visit, otherwise I usually have something in my bag.

On that first occasion I was quite amazed to see a group of 5 adults sitting around a table eating while their 3 children ran riot throughout the place. If I can sit and have a civil meal with 4 children, the youngest of which is 3, why on earth can't 5 adults control their brood?

And I am one of the parents that believes if you issue a threat, you carry it through. If I tell the kids we will leave unless they behave, we will leave. I can't abide the ones that say 'stop it or...' and then blithely let their children carry on.

Best post on the thread pixie. Kids misbehave in restaurants probably because they are not being entertained. If the kids are coming along they need to be part of the experience, looked after, included and entertained. It's wrong to bring them along then leave them to their own devices.

I would say to anybody who is complaining because they been disturbed by kids in the chain restaurants, cafes or chain pubs then you need to be a bit more realistic. Those places are specifically targeting families and you should expect to have to share the restaurant with them. There are no guarantees that all of the kids will behave, especially the babies. If you want to avoid families then pay more, go to more exclusive restaurants.

Best post on the thread pixie. Kids misbehave in restaurants probably because they are not being entertained. If the kids are coming along they need to be part of the experience, looked after, included and entertained. It's wrong to bring them along then leave them to their own devices.

I would say to anybody who is complaining because they been disturbed by kids in the chain restaurants, cafes or chain pubs then you need to be a bit more realistic. Those places are specifically targeting families and you should expect to have to share the restaurant with them. There are no guarantees that all of the kids will behave, especially the babies. If you want to avoid families then pay more, go to more exclusive restaurants.

Well said!!!

Co-incidentally... with this thread being revived....tried to have our evening meal in a nice but small pub in Sandsend (near Whitby) a few nights ago - it was spoiled by the family next to us who spent the entire meal planning their 8 year old's forthcoming birthday party, very loudly, very screechily. 8 year old becoming more and more silly and excited at the thought of it all, 10 year old sister getting more and more jealous and attention seeking and badly behaved! It was like being back in a school playground.

Unreasonable, methought. The rest of the adults in the bar found them a pain as well - one of them even went over and asked them to keep the noise down, only to be told that they (ie the family) were eating there too and had a perfect right to enjoy their meal as anyone else!

I must admit my heart sinks when I see children in pubs/bars of hotels, especially in the evening.

Co-incidentally... with this thread being revived....tried to have our evening meal in a nice but small pub in Sandsend (near Whitby) a few nights ago - it was spoiled by the family next to us who spent the entire meal planning their 8 year old's forthcoming birthday party, very loudly, very screechily. 8 year old becoming more and more silly and excited at the thought of it all, 10 year old sister getting more and more jealous and attention seeking and badly behaved! It was like being back in a school playground.

Unreasonable, methought. The rest of the adults in the bar found them a pain as well - one of them even went over and asked them to keep the noise down, only to be told that they (ie the family) were eating there too and had a perfect right to enjoy their meal as anyone else!

I must admit my heart sinks when I see children in pubs/bars of hotels, especially in the evening.

Looks like you should stay at home more often. Poor you!

Looks like you should stay at home more often. Poor you!

Why should I stay at home 'more often' (in fact I don't often eat out!), when it wasn't me being antisocial and noisy?

Do you not think the family involved should have had more consideration for everyone else in the pub who was trying to have a conversation/eat their meal? Their kids were appallingly behaved - and above all, loud and screamy.

Do you think that's OK?

Why should I stay at home 'more often' (in fact I don't often eat out!), when it wasn't me being antisocial and noisy?

Do you not think the family involved should have had more consideration for everyone else in the pub who was trying to have a conversation/eat their meal? Their kids were appallingly behaved - and above all, loud and screamy.

Do you think that's OK?

I suppose if the children were 8 years old then they should know better. But kids of 2/3/4 years old will be naughty if they want to, regardless of their parents. That's just what kids do.

I suppose if the children were 8 years old then they should know better. But kids of 2/3/4 years old will be naughty if they want to, regardless of their parents. That's just what kids do.

Well, I disagree actually...(one of my three was delightful at that age, the other two less so!)...but if 2, 3 and 4 year olds are naughty in public, perhaps they should eat at home until they can be trusted to behave appropriately when in public.

Do you think it is unreasonable to expect to be able to eat a meal and conduct a conversation at normal level in a pub in the evening without an out-of-control child screeching excitedly at the next table??

Well, I disagree actually...(one of my three was delightful at that age, the other two less so!)...but if 2, 3 and 4 year olds are naughty in public, perhaps they should eat at home until they can be trusted to behave appropriately when in public.

Do you think it is unreasonable to expect to be able to conduct a conversation at normal level in a pub in the evening?

I disagree....

Go somewhere else.

I disagree....

Go somewhere else.

I did, in that I moved to a table further away when it became free.

But if you have already ordered your meal, or are half way through it when the noisy family arrives, why should you have to leave?

You seem incredibly defeatist and subservient. Anything for a quiet life? Why on earth should normal diners in pubs be driven away by antisocial louts?

I did, in that I moved to a table further away when it became free.

But if you have already ordered your meal, or are half way through it when the noisy family arrives, why should you have to leave?

You seem incredibly defeatist and subservient. Anything for a quiet life? Why on earth should normal diners in pubs be driven away by antisocial louts?

Normal diners put up with it.

Archived