Children in cafés and restaurants

I did, in that I moved to a table further away when it became free.

But if you have already ordered your meal, or are half way through it when the noisy family arrives, why should you have to leave?

You seem incredibly defeatist and subservient. Anything for a quiet life? Why on earth should normal diners in pubs be driven away by antisocial louts?

Well there is your problem, what do you expect when you go to such places like restaurants that are one below 'McDonalds', places such as 'Tobys' or 'The Harvester'. These places are known for a certain type of people patronising them. As for pubs, are you telling us you are expecting to find middle-class people with their well mannered children in there? More like the locals from the sink estate.

Do you think it is unreasonable to expect to be able to eat a meal and conduct a conversation at normal level in a pub in the evening without an out-of-control child screeching excitedly at the next table??

I agree, most people go into a café during shopping hours and to wind down and have a snack, in the evening it's nice to be able to hold a conversation in a restaurant where there is a relaxing atmosphere - it's about the ambience.

I have seen children over five years old behaving extremely well when accompanied by their grandparents, in the early evening.

Well there is your problem, what do you expect when you go to such places like restaurants that are one below 'McDonalds', places such as 'Tobys' or 'The Harvester'. These places are known for a certain type of people patronising them. As for pubs, are you telling us you are expecting to find middle-class people with their well mannered children in there? More like the locals from the sink estate.

You have no idea where I go to eat out in the evenings, so please don't presume.

It certainly isn't Harvester, Toby's, etc. (Carveries don't have much to offer if you don't like meat). The establishment in question was a local pub in a seaside village, out of season. All the customers apart from the noisy family were adults, mostly locals, as far as I could tell. Pubs traditionally used to be a child-free refuge for adults, although that seems to be changing. So be it. I've no problem with children per se in pubs/restaurants, I just think they shouldn't spoil others' enjoyment by being loud and antisocial.

And middle class-ness is no guarantee that children will behave well. The family in question were very middle class, judging by their RP, the confidence with which they drove a coach and horses through everyone else's peace and quiet, and the plans under discussion for the birthday.

---------- Post added 26-04-2014 at 22:03 ----------

I agree, most people go into a café during shopping hours and to wind down and have a snack, in the evening it's nice to be able to hold a conversation in a restaurant where there is a relaxing atmosphere - it's about the ambience.

I have seen children over five years old behaving extremely well when accompanied by their grandparents, in the early evening.

Agreed. I'm glad I'm not the only one who doesn't think evenings are for adults and well-behaved children only...!

Every time I go in a café (or restaurant during the day), I seem to be plagued by the wailing/grizzling/screaming of toddlers whose parents do not seem remotely interested in them.

Typically, the parents will sit at the table chatting away and enjoying their meal/drink, while the bored toddler sits facing away from them in a buggy. The only strategy the parents seem to have to entertain them is to let them play with a mobile phone; the novelty of that wears off after a while and the grizzling resumes.

Older children are often to be seen glued to their iPads etc., and are generally quiet, but even so it seems a pity that they cannot be included in the sociability of the occasion.

What do you do with your kids in cafés? Do you think it's OK to keep them quiet through the whole meal with electronic games?

When you went out with mom and dad as a kid, did you sit quiet until everyone finished?

When you went out with mom and dad as a kid, did you sit quiet until everyone finished?

No chance! Kids play up, they're unpredictable. If your local pub usually has a family atmosphere and you get the face on when kids make a noise. Go somewhere else.....I'm sure the landlord won't lose any sleep!

Looks like you should stay at home more often. Poor you!

Why should they ?

People should not have to suffer screaming , whining kids in restaurants and pubs. If people insist on taking their brats out to eat they should keep to those horrible fun pub things like Taybarns where they can sit among all the other families with screaming brats.

---------- Post added 27-04-2014 at 11:04 ----------

No , when i go in a pub i expect to find adults over the age of 18 enjoying a pint or two , not a pub full of noisy screaming brats .

---------- Post added 27-04-2014 at 11:08 ----------

No chance! Kids play up, they're unpredictable. If your local pub usually has a family atmosphere and you get the face on when kids make a noise. Go somewhere else.....I'm sure the landlord won't lose any sleep!

And here is the root of the problem . When i was a kid the nearest kids were allowed to get to a pub was stood outside with a bag of crisps and a bottle of pop. Nowadays what was once an adult place has been turned into somewhere no better than MacDonalds . Kids should NOT be allowed in pubs under any circumstances.

Why should they ?

People should not have to suffer screaming , whining kids in restaurants and pubs. If people insist on taking their brats out to eat they should keep to those horrible fun pub things like Taybarns where they can sit among all the other families with screaming brats.

---------- Post added 27-04-2014 at 11:04 ----------

No , when i go in a pub i expect to find adults over the age of 18 enjoying a pint or two , not a pub full of noisy screaming brats .

---------- Post added 27-04-2014 at 11:08 ----------

And here is the root of the problem . When i was a kid the nearest kids were allowed to get to a pub was stood outside with a bag of crisps and a bottle of pop. Nowadays what was once an adult place has been turned into somewhere no better than MacDonalds . Kids should NOT be allowed in pubs under any circumstances.

Kids aren't allowed in pubs after a certain time. If they are, then it's down to the landlord to evict them because their parents should have taken them home already.

Bottom line.......kids are allowed to eat in pubs. Kids make noise, even extremely well behaved ones at times. If you don't like it, go to one of those old fashioned dirty back street holes where normal people stay away from.

Tough luck on this one mate, get over it!!

Co-incidentally... with this thread being revived....tried to have our evening meal in a nice but small pub in Sandsend (near Whitby) a few nights ago - it was spoiled by the family next to us who spent the entire meal planning their 8 year old's forthcoming birthday party, very loudly, very screechily. 8 year old becoming more and more silly and excited at the thought of it all, 10 year old sister getting more and more jealous and attention seeking and badly behaved! It was like being back in a school playground.

Unreasonable, methought. The rest of the adults in the bar found them a pain as well - one of them even went over and asked them to keep the noise down, only to be told that they (ie the family) were eating there too and had a perfect right to enjoy their meal as anyone else!

I must admit my heart sinks when I see children in pubs/bars of hotels, especially in the evening.

Stop torturing yourself by visiting family friendly dining spots.

You have no idea where I go to eat out in the evenings, so please don't presume.

It certainly isn't Harvester, Toby's, etc. (Carveries don't have much to offer if you don't like meat). The establishment in question was a local pub in a seaside village, out of season. All the customers apart from the noisy family were adults, mostly locals, as far as I could tell. Pubs traditionally used to be a child-free refuge for adults, although that seems to be changing. So be it. I've no problem with children per se in pubs/restaurants, I just think they shouldn't spoil others' enjoyment by being loud and antisocial.

And middle class-ness is no guarantee that children will behave well. The family in question were very middle class, judging by their RP, the confidence with which they drove a coach and horses through everyone else's peace and quiet, and the plans under discussion for the birthday.

Cheer up AliceBB, you could do worse, you might have found yourself confronted with good old Nige, propping up the bar!;)

I usually burp in their faces, seems to work quite well. If it does fail I throw in some colon relief and if even that fails I will kick a few around for a while.

In seriousness though, I don't go to places full of kids, it works really well.

Archived