Is there any point in a justice system?

Honestly, can anyone, based on the information in the two links give me any idea why you can only get four years (out in two) for killing a man. Apologies, one is daily mail.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2567496/Pictured-Shocking-moment-doting-son-killed-single-punch-head-row-cycling-pavement-killer-jailed-just-four-half-years.html

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/lewis-gill-killed-andrew-young-3183689

I don't get it.

On the face of it far to lenient.

Idea: If you steal from someone you pay them back x6 for any loss or reparation, aside from any custodial sentence.

Take a life and you pay back the next of kin for the rest of your life, regardless of being released early.

he was jailed for manslaughter, he didn't set out to kill him, just punch him, there's a difference in murder and manslaughter its called intent

and to answer your question yes there is, of course, or there'd be even more people dead, killing

Honestly, can anyone, based on the information in the two links give me any idea why you can only get four years (out in two) for killing a man.

I don't get it.

It's pretty obvious really. The fact that this poor chap died was, in effect, an accident. There was no intent to kill.

On the face of it far to lenient.

Idea: If you steal from someone you pay them back x6 for any loss or reparation, aside from any custodial sentence.

Take a life and you pay back the next of kin for the rest of your life, regardless of being released early.

That is too simplisitic and would diminish justice. More discretion is required not less.

In my opinion 4 1/2 years for killing someone is too little but 4 1/2 years for hitting someone once is too much.The judge has tried to get the balance right because the assailant obvious intended to cause serious harm but didn't intent to cause death.

However, whilst judges have some discretion to give harsher or more lenient based on criminal record I do not think it is enough. I'd like something similar to the US '3 strikes law' so judges could double or triple standard sentences for persistent serious offenders. I think 10-12 years for the individual in question (previous convictions for handling stolen goods and robbery) would have been nearer the mark.

Honestly, can anyone, based on the information in the two links give me any idea why you can only get four years (out in two) for killing a man. Apologies, one is daily mail.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2567496/Pictured-Shocking-moment-doting-son-killed-single-punch-head-row-cycling-pavement-killer-jailed-just-four-half-years.html

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/lewis-gill-killed-andrew-young-3183689

I don't get it.

Nor me, there's enough evidence to prove behold any doubt that he killed the man, there is little point to his continued existence so his body should be recycled.

Nor me, there's enough evidence to prove behold any doubt that he killed the man, there is little point to his continued existence so his body should be recycled.

Executing people for a single punch is not justice. That sort of 'justice' is more commonly found in places like North Korea.

That is too simplisitic and would diminish justice. More discretion is required not less.

In my opinion 4 1/2 years for killing someone is too little but 4 1/2 years for hitting someone once is too much.The judge has tried to get the balance right because the assailant obvious intended to cause serious harm but didn't intent to cause death.

However, whilst judges have some discretion to give harsher or more lenient based on criminal record I do not think it is enough. I'd like something similar to the US '3 strikes law' so judges could double or triple standard sentences for persistent serious offenders. I think 10-12 years for the individual in question (previous convictions for handling stolen goods and robbery) would have been nearer the mark.

Executing people for a single punch is not justice. That sort of 'justice' is more commonly found in places like North Korea.

On form today Zamo.

Archived