Is there any point in a justice system?

Executing people for a single punch is not justice. That sort of 'justice' is more commonly found in places like North Korea.

Of cause it is, he is clearly a danger to the public and locking him for life would be a waste of resources, he serves no purpose to society.

Honestly, can anyone, based on the information in the two links give me any idea why you can only get four years (out in two) for killing a man. Apologies, one is daily mail.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2567496/Pictured-Shocking-moment-doting-son-killed-single-punch-head-row-cycling-pavement-killer-jailed-just-four-half-years.html

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/lewis-gill-killed-andrew-young-3183689

I don't get it.

It's called the 'one punch defence', tfh, although it sounds a lamentable sentence for taking someone's life, the belief is that the death of the victim is an unintended consequence of the assault.

There was a similar case last year where an off duty police officer was killed by a single punch, his attacker received the same sentence, 4.5 years.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2418832/Thug-killed-duty-police-officer-single-punch-played-X-Box-jailed-just-half-years.html

It's called the 'one punch defence', tfh, although it sounds a lamentable sentence for taking someone's life, the belief is that the death of the victim is an unintended consequence of the assault.

There was a similar case last year where an off duty police officer was killed by a single punch, his attacker received the same sentence, 4.5 years.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2418832/Thug-killed-duty-police-officer-single-punch-played-X-Box-jailed-just-half-years.html

It is common knowledge and common sense that a single punch can kill someone, so the law should work on the principle that if you punch someone you must have had intent to kill. If the thug had been of previous good character and just lost control in the heat of the moment I might see that a lighter sentence than death would be appropriate, but he wasn't, he is a career criminal and he will kill or injure someone else at some point in the future.

It is common knowledge and common sense that a single punch can kill someone, so the law should work on the principle that if you punch someone you must have had intent to kill.
I think the more common belief is that if you punch someone it's highly unlikely to result in their death, if that were the case our streets would be littered with dead bodies in the early hours of every Saturday morning.

Having said that I still think a sentence under 5 years for killing someone is very lenient.

If the thug had been of previous good character and just lost control in the heat of the moment I might see that a lighter sentence than death would be appropriate, but he wasn't, he is a career criminal and he will kill or injure someone else at some point in the future.

He's clearly not a model citizen I agree, but I don't think he had any previous convictions for assault.

I think the more common belief is that if you punch someone it's highly unlikely to result in their death, if that were the case our streets would be littered with dead bodies in the early hours of every Saturday morning.

Having said that I still think a sentence under 5 years for killing someone is very lenient.

He's clearly not a model citizen I agree, but I don't think he had any previous convictions for assault.

I have no idea were you have been living but many people have dead from a single punch and only an fool would think that punching someone can't kill them. A man would be alive today if the justice system gave out appropriate punishments.

I have no idea were you have been living but many people have dead from a single punch
I'm well aware of that, and posted a link to another incident from last year.

and only an fool would think that punching someone can't kill them.

I haven't said otherwise.

A man would be alive today if the justice system gave out appropriate punishments.

..and how do you know this?

It is common knowledge and common sense that a single punch can kill someone, so the law should work on the principle that if you punch someone you must have had intent to kill.

Clearly that's nonsense. Lots of things can kill, but prosecution requires proof of things, not assumptions. Proving that someone intended to kill by punching someone just once would be nearly impossible.

If the thug had been of previous good character and just lost control in the heat of the moment I might see that a lighter sentence than death would be appropriate, but he wasn't, he is a career criminal and he will kill or injure someone else at some point in the future.

Perhaps we should be concentrating on rehabilitation then. Although I happen to agree that 4.5 years in these circumstances is too lenient.

I'm well aware of that, and posted a link to another incident from last year.

I haven't said otherwise.

..and how do you know this?

I was referring to the thugs that think punching someone is acceptable and can't kill them, I work on the principle that if you choose to punch someone you can't then claim that you didn't intend to kill them, because everyone should know that punching someone can kill them. Its no different to someone claiming that they didn't intend to kill when they shot or knifed someone. If you do something that is illegal and can result in someone's death then it should be treated as though you intended to kill them.

---------- Post added 26-02-2014 at 10:13 ----------

Clearly that's nonsense. Lots of things can kill, but prosecution requires proof of things, not assumptions. Proving that someone intended to kill by punching someone just once would be nearly impossible.

Perhaps we should be concentrating on rehabilitation then. Although I happen to agree that 4.5 years in these circumstances is too lenient.

How? and rehabilitation obviously didn't work for him did it.

---------- Post added 26-02-2014 at 10:14 ----------

Perhaps we should be concentrating on rehabilitation then.

Why, there are already plenty of good people, why do we need to keep the bad people.

I was referring to the thugs that think punching someone is acceptable and can't kill them, I work on the principle that if you choose to punch someone you can't then claim that you didn't intend to kill them, because everyone should know that punching someone can kill them. Its no different to someone claiming that they didn't intend to kill when they shot or knifed someone. If you do something that is illegal and can result in someone's death then it should be treated as though you intended to kill them.

You can work on whatever principle you like, but the legal principle is one of 'intent', and a prosecutor would have a difficult time convincing a jury that a defendant who punched someone once had intended to kill them.

Archived