Is there any point in a justice system?

I understand your argument, but the punishment has to take account of the intention of the defendant and of course the consequences to the victim, that's why you might get a community penalty for punching someone and 4+ years for that punch killing them.

What we do agree on is that level of sentence is too low, but I wouldn't agree on a sentence being imposed similar to one where someone deliberately with premeditation sets out to kill someone, even though the consequences to the victim are the same.

---------- Post added 26-02-2014 at 11:41 ----------

Hot Off the Press

The attorney general is reviewing the sentence with a view to challenging its leniency.

Hurrah.

I understand about the meaning to kill bit but the aggression was there or he wouldn't have hit unless it was self defence. I kill someone whilst driving slightly over the limit or making a phonecall when driving and killed someone you can be sure there was no aggression involved and I'd be doing a bucket load more than 4 years.

On other occasions "one punch" killings have been ruled to be murder

Remember us arguing about this case at the time, I think the assault was aggravated by the fact the accused was a trained boxer and there was some premeditation.

---------- Post added 26-02-2014 at 12:49 ----------

On other occasions "one punch" killings have been ruled to be murder

Unbelievably the sentence Bradley Hinkler received was no deterrent to his father who was subsequently convicted of assault in a separate incident.

http://www.thestar.co.uk/news/local/sheffield-dad-of-one-punch-killer-avoids-jail-1-5210592?utm_medium=referral&utm_source=t.co

I was referring to the thugs that think punching someone is acceptable and can't kill them, I work on the principle that if you choose to punch someone you can't then claim that you didn't intend to kill them, because everyone should know that punching someone can kill them. Its no different to someone claiming that they didn't intend to kill when they shot or knifed someone. If you do something that is illegal and can result in someone's death then it should be treated as though you intended to kill them.

---------- Post added 26-02-2014 at 10:13 ----------

How? and rehabilitation obviously didn't work for him did it.

---------- Post added 26-02-2014 at 10:14 ----------

Why, there are already plenty of good people, why do we need to keep the bad people.

so in your strange little world every car driver is guilty of murder because cars can an do kill, vastly more regular than a punch may I say

However the evidence suggests that someone being punched once is unlikely to die,

That would depend on the punch, the location, the victim and the thug.

In the circumstance showed in the video I think the chances of the victim dying was very high, most people would have fallen backwards if they had been punched with that amount of force, there was a very high chance of him being hit by a passing vehicle or banging his head on the road, there was very little chance of him not suffering serious injury or death. The fact the thug is to thick to realise this shouldn't matter, most people would know that death or serious injury was very likely.

---------- Post added 26-02-2014 at 13:32 ----------

so in your strange little world every car driver is guilty of murder because cars can an do kill, vastly more regular than a punch may I say

No that would be your mind playing tricks with you.

Did you read the comments below. If true, this one is very interesting:

SteveHoyland1963

In 2002 I was sentenced to 4 years for supplying £20 worth of drugs. Since then I've seen killers,rapists and paedophiles get much shorter sentences.

4 years or 2 for good behaver for an attack that could have killed 90% of people. This is no different to the guy firing a gun at the man. I hope there is a review of the sentence and its increased.

Did you read the comments below. If true, this one is very interesting:

4 years or 2 for good behaver for an attack that could have killed 90% of people. This is no different to the guy firing a gun at the man. I hope there is a review of the sentence and its increased.

I know nothing whatsoever about the above.

Archived