E Petitions against the school holiday ban

but they are not, kids these days are not even tought the times table!!

My grandchildren ARE taught their times tables at their school. Mind you their school is classed as outstanding by Ofsted.

Back on topic, I'm going to sign the petition because I think penalising parents is totally wrong.

My grandchildren ARE taught their times tables at their school. Mind you their school is classed as outstanding by Ofsted.

Back on topic, I'm going to sign the petition because I think penalising parents is totally wrong.

They aren't being penalised, they know the conditions before they agree to send them to school.The fine is for breaking the rules.

Just like speeding tickets etc,if you don't break the rules you don't get a fine or thats the view of many people on here.

They aren't being penalised, they know the conditions before they agree to send them to school.The fine is for breaking the rules.

Just like speeding tickets etc,if you don't break the rules you don't get a fine or thats the view of many people on here.

BUT the rules have been altered haven't they ? Previous to Sept 2013 it was up to the headteacher whether a term time holiday was granted or not..... now it isn't.

BUT the rules have been altered haven't they ? Previous to Sept 2013 it was up to the headteacher whether a term time holiday was granted or not..... now it isn't.

It still can be IIRC.

In addition how many actually ask the head?

Not many otherwise there would be no need to start threatening fines.

but they are not, kids these days are not even tought the times table!!

I'm not offering a comment on whether schools are better today, or not, but your mis-spelt claim above is incorrect.

Kids these days are taught loads of maths at junior school. That includes recall of the times tables up to 10X10. You can check it out here.

The English NC has a section about spelling too:rolleyes:

---------- Post added 27-02-2014 at 15:31 ----------

It still can be IIRC.

In addition how many actually ask the head?

Not many otherwise there would be no need to start threatening fines.

The rules are much tighter. Heads now have very little discretion about what they can and can't authorise. Which is an odd rule change for a libertarian Conservative government.

I'm not offering a comment on whether schools are better today, or not, but your mis-spelt claim above is incorrect.

Kids these days are taught loads of maths at junior school. That includes recall of the times tables up to 10X10. You can check it out here.

The English NC has a section about spelling too:rolleyes:

---------- Post added 27-02-2014 at 15:31 ----------

The rules are much tighter. Heads now have very little discretion about what they can and can't authorise. Which is an odd rule change for a libertarian Conservative government.

Thats across the board i think at the moment as well.

Ring in because your car won't start and loose a days pay, ring in and say your child is ill and still get paid. Now thats hypocrisy.

How about kids getting 5 bakers days just like the teachers, or or perhaps kids coukd go on strike because they dont lije the conditions being imposed upon them by teachers!!?

Correct me if I'm wrong, but they already get the same 5 baker days... They don't go to school when the teachers are having training do they!

Correct me if I'm wrong, but they already get the same 5 baker days... They don't go to school when the teachers are having training do they!

I think she means she wants the kids to go to school for five days when there are no teachers there.

No, I'm not sure why either.

yes i do, but lets give the kids the same rights as teachers, or are teachers special?.

Well, they are a paid workforce rather than a bunch of people receiving a free service but, let's be clear here, if you give the kids the same "rights" as the teachers wrt "Baker Days" then you will be taking 5 days holiday away from them.

Do you unserstand yet?

Archived