E Petitions against the school holiday ban

You can interpret my posts any which way you want, willman.

One day of strike/finding child care does not an education make, a quality one or otherwise.

I think you and I, and any sane and reasonably intelligent reader knows that well.

It's a rethorical and populist line of argument, trolling material really, when you think about it in the context of an online public forum.

By all means, feel free to continue self-flagellating with it if you must. But not with me/in you discussion with me, please, as I'm sure you can tell I "know the score" on that front :)

That 'argument' applies to teachers just the same, willman, so let's forget you made it ;)

You do not: you have as much right to go on hols "when you please" as what and when your employment contract actually says. Whether you are a teacher or not.

That is exactly why exceptions have been provided in the school fine regime, which parents who are contractually told by their employers when to go on hols can invoke.

I didn't know they would be teachers or i may have considered it.;)

I didn't know they would be teachers or i may have considered it.;)
Redundant point: whether you already have kids, or may eventually have kids, as a would-be teacher you know that you would not be allowed to holiday term-time.

In time, your children, considering becoming teachers themselves, would face the exact same truism, and quandary/choice as you did before them.

It's a negative aspect of the job, as with all jobs I'm sure there's a few positivies too, and some might even make up for it ;)

No, I did not miss it. The economics of holidays is not the issue. If the parents can't afford to go on holiday then they should select a cheaper one or not go. School attendance has higher priority than parents' budgets

It isn`t just about price, it`s about the fact that travel is educational, in fact schools actually organise their own trips way, or did when I was at school, which proves the point. I`d say that a trip to South Africa, or Argentina, or Russia (perhaps not at the moment.....) or Rome would actually be more educational, certainly in a broader sense, than the same time at school.

To say well there`s all the school holiday time to use instead is not an answer because it can be so much more expensive that parents might not be able to afford to go then. Then there`s the southern hemisphere thing, you`d only go to the southern hemisphere in our winter (their summer), and there are only one or two week holidays in our winter, and one of those is at Xmas when prices really do go through the roof. Finally, some people at work find it difficult to get time off in the school holidays for obvious reasons.

---------- Post added 05-03-2014 at 09:34 ----------

Does anyone know if the Draconian inflexible ban on taking kids on holiday during term time also applies to Infant and Junior schools ?

If it does that`s even more ridiculous.

If it doesn`t, you end up with the ironic situation that you can take kids off on trips which will teach them loads (and inspire their desire for knowledge as well) but only when they`re arguably too young to appreciate it !

AFAIK it simply applies to 'schools', which would include them.

That really is too much. Missing a week or two at infant school is so important parents aren`t allowed to go travelling with their own kids ! What is going on here......

---------- Post added 05-03-2014 at 09:39 ----------

in my experience, those who travel the most are the least likely to be racist, it really is a win win win situation.

I'd love to know how you come to that conclusion.

I haven`t done any objective research on it but I`m certain of it, are you disagreeing with it ?

Note, I`m not talking about people who just go to the Costas for their summer holiday, I`m talking about those who go to countries with genuinely different cultures and histories.

---------- Post added 05-03-2014 at 09:47 ----------

That's the crux of the argument isn't it. Many parents think that they should indeed have the right to take their child out of school if they so chose. It's difficult to argue against it to be honest, they're the parent at the end of the day, not the state and not the teachers.

It's peoples perogative to consider education important but also to consider family holidays important (or more important if they wish). You don't have the right to tell them that they are wrong.

Unfortunately as a teacher, you do not have the right to take a break when you want, nor should you. The choice of career is quite different to the choice to have children and the choice about holiday/education.

Can`t disagree with any of the above, who could ?

I haven`t done any objective research on it but I`m certain of it, are you disagreeing with it ?

Note, I`m not talking about people who just go to the Costas for their summer holiday, I`m talking about those who go to countries with genuinely different cultures and histories

I'd just like to see some proof of your claim that travel makes people less racist.

And you also skirted round this statement:

Explain how travel makes up for missing important lessons preparing for GCSEs in Maths, English and Science.

I'd just like to see some proof of your claim that travel makes people less racist.

And you also skirted round this statement:

I wouldn`t recommend a child missing large amounts of time from school at any time, or even a week of two in the run up to important exams (but the latter is only a few months of the year). A week or so, once a year or less, at other times is quite containable.

On the racist thing, are you saying that people who do large amounts of travelling are likely to be just as racist as those who don`t ?

It isn`t just about price, it`s about the fact that travel is educational, in fact schools actually organise their own trips way, or did when I was at school, which proves the point. I`d say that a trip to South Africa, or Argentina, or Russia (perhaps not at the moment.....) or Rome would actually be more educational, certainly in a broader sense, than the same time at school.

To say well there`s all the school holiday time to use instead is not an answer because it can be so much more expensive that parents might not be able to afford to go then. Then there`s the southern hemisphere thing, you`d only go to the southern hemisphere in our winter (their summer), and there are only one or two week holidays in our winter, and one of those is at Xmas when prices really do go through the roof. Finally, some people at work find it difficult to get time off in the school holidays for obvious reasons.

---------- Post added 05-03-2014 at 09:34 ----------

Travel can be educational but I suspect for the vast majority of family's it's all about the money and nothing else. Cheaper to have 2 weeks on the Med outside of term time.

Archived