Household light bulb problems..

Not the usual argument about old style/new style for a change, but about the quality of ones purchased recently....

I've had a spate of bulbs where the glass is separating from the metal housing, which means that I have to turn the power off and get the pliers out to free the bulb base from its socket before replacing the blown bulb.

Not one brand or power rating : not one source or price range : not just bayonet either...I've had problems wih both small and normal Edison screw types as well.

Today exactly the same thing's happened to a spotlight in my kitchen....being an edison type and recessed it's a right pain to remove.

I wonder if the manufacturers are using a different adhesive between glass and metal?

If so, it ain't working!

As you said, I have had to remove many a bulb with pliers after the glass has separated from the rim. Not a fan of the new bulbs.

My son's bedroom light fitting has shades that point down...I've even known the glass bit blown across the room when a bulb fails!

Archived