The TEST of police efficiency.

Janus

The test of Police efficiency is the absence of crime and disorder.......not the visible evidence of Police action in dealing with it. (Sir Robert Peal 1829)

That seems a reasonable statement to make.

Is the presence of crime and disorder inefficiency of the police?

The test of Police efficiency is the absence of crime and disorder.......not the visible evidence of Police action in dealing with it. (Sir Robert Peal 1829)

That seems a reasonable statement to make.

No it doesn't.

It assumes police efficiency is the only factor that contributes to the changing levels of crime over time. Which, I think that is very unlikely, there are other factors at play.

Shame they still regard rape as the fault of the woman and fail to convict hardly anyone, thus there is hardly any such crime. Most efficient.

If its not recorded it never happened, and if it did its not serious, as we live in a male dominated culture where women are second class citizens, and pay them ;less for good measure, just in case they fail to get the point.

I can see where your coming from. What would you say is a test of police efficiency?

It's a broad and complex matter, with many considerations...

What is the purpose and agenda of the police?

What does one consider a crime?

Is the measurement of police efficiency, used as a political tool?

If so, is the way in which efficiency is calculated, somewhat skewed or distorted, in order to achieve a desired outcome?

I could go on and on, but suffice it to say, things are never as simple as they seem on the surface.

Archived