Car starting to misfire/splutter, intermittent

Have you ever noticed when you first start your car its high idle runs great then drops when engine warms up and then hesitates or stalls.

---------- Post added 01-03-2014 at 00:48 ----------

"Originally Posted by bkcin View Post

Idle control valve issue perhaps or mass air flow meter problem?"

Start with this ... Its A to B.

yes it idles at 800 when running normal, but when i start sometimes its at or above 1k idling as it warms up then the idle goes back to its 'normal' rate

---------- Post added 01-03-2014 at 16:35 ----------

but no fault occurs, engine management light doesnt come on in any situation except where the engine shuts down and that just comes on with check oil, battery light just the ignition stuff

---------- Post added 09-03-2014 at 19:57 ----------

My car does now not start up at all, just idles high then the engine struggles and the car shuts off, I have a fault code reading as ecn 040063

• 2 weeks later...
yes it idles at 800 when running normal, but when i start sometimes its at or above 1k idling as it warms up then the idle goes back to its 'normal' rate

---------- Post added 01-03-2014 at 16:35 ----------

but no fault occurs, engine management light doesnt come on in any situation except where the engine shuts down and that just comes on with check oil, battery light just the ignition stuff

---------- Post added 09-03-2014 at 19:57 ----------

My car does now not start up at all, just idles high then the engine struggles and the car shuts off, I have a fault code reading as ecn 040063

It could be a multitude of things. You walk into a room flick switch light wont come on. Do you strip the light switch socket ? Run to the fuse box? or simply change the bulb. Going on a hot date, You have to iron your shirt the Iron don't work.... Do we strip the iron, Or check the fuse in the plug. A TO B.

Please don't laugh when I say this!!! But have you had any disagreements lately with anyone? A TO B. Make sure gas is coming out of the exhaust pipe put your hand against it should be a good strong consistent flow. A TO B process of elimination.

A disgruntled neighbour with a potato could render your car to show the same signs you are talking about. please don't think I am trying to be smart or argumentative I am not! If I can help I will. This may sound silly to you, But the first thing I would do put my hand against the exhaust pipe... A new kid at the garage would be running for the tool box and have half your engine out! .. A to B

It could be a multitude of things. You walk into a room flick switch light wont come on. Do you strip the light switch socket ? Run to the fuse box? or simply change the bulb. Going on a hot date, You have to iron your shirt the Iron don't work.... Do we strip the iron, Or check the fuse in the plug. A TO B.

Please don't laugh when I say this!!! But have you had any disagreements lately with anyone? A TO B. Make sure gas is coming out of the exhaust pipe put your hand against it should be a good strong consistent flow. A TO B process of elimination.

A disgruntled neighbour with a potato could render your car to show the same signs you are talking about. please don't think I am trying to be smart or argumentative I am not! If I can help I will. This may sound silly to you, But the first thing I would do put my hand against the exhaust pipe... A new kid at the garage would be running for the tool box and have half your engine out! .. A to B

I love this reply its brill and i think your onto the problem...no or limited fault codes usually points to a mechanical fault ..something loose,leaking or BLOCKED! i would get under the car and give the catalystic converter a bash and see if its inners jump around and to be sure split the exhaust to see inside the cat .

The car is choking. A mechanical fault code or engine warning light and losing power would shut of any turbo etc and do about 30 mph to get you home. Don't hit anything with a hammer!! Make sure the exhaust fumes are passing out with no problems, no fancy tools , just your hand.. Then we can take it from there. Or you could take it to zigzag. lol

Archived